Stealth ABS computer

Old 07-19-02, 02:03 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stealth ABS computer

The ABS light on my 94 Camry is not lighting, and the ABS is not working ( wheels lock up), so after "extensive" testing (per AllData) I've determined that the ABS computer needs to be replaced. The dealer quoted me $800, which I am not about to pay. So off I went to the salvage yards to find a replacement. That's where things started to get interesting. My car is made in north america in 05/94. Apparently there was a production change on 6/94, so almost everything on that car is different. There are also two ABS type on the car, either a Bosch or a Nippon/Denso. I know I have the Bosch unit (it says so on the actuator). However, AllData shows the computer and actuator to be together in the engine compartment. All of the salvave yards I talked to keep telling me that the computer is actually inside the car on the passanger's side. Who's right? I was quoted prices for both the ABS computer and the "engine compartment unit". I don't want to buy both of them if I don't have to, and since the light is not working, and the diagnostic codes can't be pulled from the ABS computer I assume it's bad.

Old 07-19-02, 03:11 PM
Nipp has ecu not on unit under hood, on those I think the ecu is under the package tray in the trunk. You need a Bosch unit, which has ecu attached to the actuator

Larry

Old 07-19-02, 03:33 PM
T
So I was right, the computer is on top of the actuator. Is it possible to replace just the ECU, or does the whole unit has to be replaced?

Old 07-19-02, 03:55 PM
Ecu can be replaced separately .

Larry

Old 07-19-02, 04:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Toyota and the aftermarket companies out there all offer reman controller units. I'd go that route.

Keep the junk in the junkyard where it belongs. A Toyota rebuilt will have the latest and greatest updates as well as far as durability.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: