glove box lock?

Old 07-19-02, 06:12 PM
glove box lock?

what is the technical term for the knob that you turn to open your glove box? mine isn't the kind that locks. i took it out (after fiddling with it for awhile) because it just spun around. now, i can't figure out how to get it all back together in there.

there's nothing in my book on it, or any other books i have. autozone told me to go to the dealership and get a new one.

i'd like to at least look like i know what i'm doing when i walk into the dealership, actually, i would like to figure out how this silly thing works. doesn't appear to be broken, just not put together correctly.

79 blazer, full sized, 4wd

kay

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-02, 07:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The part where you put the key is called a cylinder.

The case is the part the cylinder fits into and has the latch that hooks on the dashboard latch.

Easy solution: Just take it to any locksmith, and they can fix them. I have done them, but I don't recommend a DIY person do them. The tumblers can fall out and it's frustrating.

I had a new lock keyed to my original with a new case, INSTALLED in my door for 15 bucks . I simply brought in the door and did the R&R of the door. Took the locksmith 10 minutes, even put new tumblers in there. He just asked me the year, make and model and looked it up in a book.

Old 07-19-02, 07:38 PM
i was frustrated when i posted. when i reread it, i don't know how anyone understood what i wrote.

the latch doesn't lock. let me rephrase that...its not keyed at all. before i took it out, the part that catches on the bar (backside of latch mechanism) spun around since it was very loose. well, i managed to get it off, however, i do not know how to put it back together.

somehow when you turn the silver part (outside of glovebox) it swivels inside the chamber of the actual latching mechanism making it release. there is a spring in there too. seems to not be broken, and in the correct place. when i reassembled it, the silver part keeps popping back out...not all the way out, but enough to where you would end up breaking it off if you caught your shirt on it or bumped it with your knee.

kay

Old 07-20-02, 06:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I think I know your problem now.

There should be a little hole in the center of the cylinder (where the key would normally go if it were of the locking type). Put a small stiff wire in there and work the cylinder out of the case.

There should be an octangonal nut that holds the case to the door. Find a tool that will fit (like a faucet seat wrench or a socket extension) and gently turn it clockwise and tighten it. Make sure the latch part is aligned straight with the bar part that latches on the dash. Hold the case with one hand as you tighten the nut to be sure it stays aligned.

Get it all tight and then just slip in the chrome part. It should click and stay in.

If there's broken parts, a locksmith can still handle it for you, and again relatively cheaply.

I was able to fix the one on my 84 Olds by doing this. There is a special tool that the locksmith has to tighten that nut however.

Also, your GM factory should have the procedure as well.

Old 07-20-02, 08:49 AM
I don't know what I did differently this time, but it work Joe! I followed the instructions you gave step by step as I reinstalled it.

When I had taken it out the first time, I actually removed the whole glove compartment and brought it in the house so I could see what I was trying to accomplish. The octagonal nut was on the same side as the locking mechanism. I figured it was on the wrong side (inside) but couldn't figure out how it all worked.

Thank you so much. I've driven this truck for 3 years this way. I was on a roll yesterday after fixing my turn signal (replaced socket - did both sides since I didn't want the other side to fail~scary driving in town with no blinker and no one looks for hand signals!). Today I will replace my belts, and hopefully track down the wiring at the firewall you mentioned in another post that handles my blower. Oh, I finally reinstalled the dash after all this time (replaced the blower switch).

Thank you again for all your help!

Kay

Old 07-20-02, 08:54 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You're welcome and good job!