89 Town Car No Starte At Times

Old 07-20-02, 08:25 AM
TECHMAN
Visiting Guest
89 Town Car No Starte At Times

1989 Lin. Town Car 5.0Lt fuel inj. no starte after drive for 30min. Let set for 10 or 15min and vehical will not starte. At this time it has 35psi. fuel pres. good spark at coil and at spark plug end. Hook up inj. test and vehical is pulsing fuel inj. Has new coil, dist cap, rotor, and good wire and new spark plug all less than 3.000 miles. i am thinking of T.F.I. mod. but i am get coil and inj. trigger. Vehical turning over fast. no problem with battery. When vehical starters it runs real slow and hard to get rev. up. fuel presure reg. is ok and not leaking fuel. At times vehical will idle high and may surge just before a nostart. thanks for all input. Dave.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-02, 11:50 AM
possible bad coolant sensor causing it to flood the engine while trying to start it, weird problem it sounds as if you have everything you need for it to start you might also check the small ground wire at negative terminal sometimes the connector will corrode and cause a poor ground to the computer it also wouldnt hurt to check your powers and grounds at the ecm check them with a headlight cause a test light or voltmeter does not put enough load on the wire to determine if its bad , pin 20,40,60, is grounds , and pin 1 ,37, 57 are power wires.

Old 07-20-02, 07:26 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Question

Have you checked for a restricted exhaust?

Old 07-20-02, 08:36 PM
computer or pickup coil? Also check exhaust as knuckles stated.

Old 07-21-02, 07:07 AM
TECHMAN
Visiting Guest
Thanks bejay for the input but what do you mean to test ecm power and ground with headlights ???????? what about a voltage drop test with vehical running.------------I have test exhaust with vehical running at 15 or 20mph do a WFO test and the vehical never stops pulling are boggs down so i have ruled out exhaust.----------I and thinking does comp. but dont want to jump the gun and just starte putting part on and hope to test and find bad part. -------as for the pickup coil being bad would i be getting inj. coil and inj. trigger with bad pickup ciol. ----------------Thanks for all input it has me thinking about it and i will preform a voltage drop test on comp wires with volt meter with no more than .10volts----i will check the comp ground at battery for corr. i had forgotof that connect. thanks and keep thinking i will check and return with relay if i ever get this thing fixed --Dave--

Old 07-21-02, 09:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you suspect the computer itself, simply have it sent out for testing by any auto parts store. Their electronics supplier can advise if the unit is good or not, and rebuild that one or provide a replacement for yours.

Old 07-21-02, 11:17 AM
I've seen a few of these have a faulty pickup that would breakdown similiar to how a module does.When testing we would still get our injector pulse and ingition system fire but they wouldn't be cycronized the way they needed to be.But then i've seen computer's do the same thing.

Old 07-21-02, 07:44 PM
TECHMAN
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input fordtech i will look into that as poss cause. Does anyone have spec. for eng temp senser, temp to ohms ect. Thanks again will keep in tough.--Dave-----

Old 07-21-02, 09:01 PM
ok the reason you use a headlight is to put a load on the wiring you can have a wire almost broken into and it will test good but it wont be able to carry enough amperage, the load the computer puts on the wiring, powers and grounds will be constantly changing and will most likely test good especially when its running and not actually acting up and not starting, you just run two wire off of a headlamp and disconnect the ecm turn the key on and test your powers and grounds you will want to load each power wire and ground for atleast 30 seconds to give any problem wires a chance to heat up if they all are capable of lighting the lamp brightly for 30 seconds then they should be in good shape it doesnt take very long to do this test once you get to the ecm connector it only takes 10 minutes.