Trailer wiring

Old 07-21-02, 03:36 PM
kraftec
Visiting Guest
Trailer wiring

I have a 96 Tahoe and am trying to wire a 7 prong trailer hookup to it. I bought the male adapter that has the 7 hookups (NAPA 755-1526) with colors indicated as to which vehicle wires to match up to it. My problem is that the vehicle color wires don't match the hookups. The colors inidicated on the hookup are brown, yellow, black, red, green, blue and white. On my Tahoe I found 5 wires taped underneath the lisence plate that are light green, dark green, yellow, brown, and white. I also found three wires taped to the left inside frame that are blue, orange and white.

Can anyone tell me which wires go to which hookups?

I looked at the plugin harness, but it only has 4 wires. Plus, I need to add the electric brake wire. Are there plug ins for the 7 prong hookup. I already have the trailer with the female 7 prong hookup.

Last edited by kraftec; 07-21-02 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-02, 03:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Dump any trailer harness where there is not a direct plug in without splicing. Hokey, troublesome and not worth it.

Get the Hoppy LiteMate system which has a direct plug in system, much better. It goes in between the factory connectors..no splicing.

Old 07-21-02, 05:37 PM
kraftec
Visiting Guest
Trailer Wiring

I have a 96 Tahoe and am trying to wire a 7 prong trailer hookup to it. I bought the male adapter that has the 7 hookups (NAPA 755-1526) with colors indicated as to which vehicle wires to match up to it. My problem is that the vehicle color wires don't match the hookups. The colors inidicated on the hookup are brown, yellow, black, red, green, blue and white. On my Tahoe I found 5 wires taped underneath the lisence plate that are light green, dark green, yellow, brown, and white. I also found three wires taped to the left inside frame that are blue, orange and white.

Can anyone tell me which wires go to which hookups?

I looked at the plugin harness, but it only has 4 wires. Plus, I need to add the electric brake wire. Are there plug ins for the 7 prong hookup. I already have the trailer with the female 7 prong hookup.

Old 07-22-02, 05:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'm pretty sure Hoppy makes what's needed. Have you contacted them?

I'll say it again, where you have to cut and splice is very hokey and you'll get electrical gazorches later on. Not worth it.

The Tahoe is a very popular vehicle. I'm pretty sure Hoppy, Valley, or Reese will have what you want . Contact them directly to be sure.

Search this Thread