abs warning light

Old 07-21-02, 04:53 PM
chickero5
Visiting Guest
abs warning light

I own a 1999 cutlass Olds. 6 cylinder Automatic transmission, A/C Power steering and Power brakes /w anti lock system Last week while sitting at traffic light, my abs light came on with also an audible alarm. I pullled over to the curb and shut off the engine. I waited a short time and then tried my engine. The car would not start it did not grind or even attempt to kick over, All I got was a click. I managed to get a jump start and drove to nearby Auto Zone store. The attendant checked my battery and said it was producing only a very low voltage. So I bought a new battery. I asked why the abs light would come on and what does it have to do with the battery. He explained to me that if not enough voltage is being generated it would cause the abs light to come on. After I had the battery installed, the car seemed to be OK, that is until today. Once again the abs light has come on along with the audible alarm and once again I could not start car without a jump. Is it possible that I may have a computer problem or could it be the alternator?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-02, 05:07 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like a discharging alternator to me. Should be covered by the factory GM warranty. I'd go back to the dealer and if it's the alternator, it should be replaced for free.