Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

car is making a noise

Visiting Guest

07-21-02, 06:05 PM   #1  
nova chick
car is making a noise

I have a 78 Chevy Nova, 350, Holley 4 barrell carb, accell firing system. When I accellerate or try to take off fast, or go up a big hill, I hear a rattle in the engine. At first I thought maybe lifters, but that would be more of a ticking sound. Could this be my valves, and if so what does this mean and how much to fix ? I am driving it easy right now but really need some help. Any ideas about what this could be ?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-21-02, 06:50 PM   #2  
Does this engine have a high compression ratio? When did this start? Have you had the timing checked? The noise you hear is called pre-detonation. It is caused by advanced timing, over-heating, vacuum leaks or lean mixture, and/or low-octane fuel.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-22-02, 05:56 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree with Cheese. Need more information. Does it have an EGR valve? Have you checked that? How many miles on the engine?

Uggh, Holley 4bbl on a Chevy 350 . I always wonder why people do that . Poor engine must get TERRIBLE fuel mileage. A Q-jet is much better for a street car.

Search this Thread