Best auto carpet cleaner out there....

Old 07-22-02, 05:58 AM
Question Best auto carpet cleaner out there....

What, in your opinion, is the best auto carpet cleaner out there? I have a friend that buys this stuff (don't know the name of it) from a body shop that you are supposed to dilute 5:1 water/cleaner. Sop it on, let sit for an hour, wipe off w/rag and it's supposedly brand new looking, save for fading due to age.

Where can I get this stuff (from a store since I don't know any body shop owners)?

Are there any "homebrew" cleaners that work?

The carpet on my Olds is not scuzzy, just old and a tad faded, but needs some deep cleaning.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-02, 06:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can have it professionally cleaned. I know some guys that did that, works well.

Can probably take the carpet out and use a home steam cleaner. That would work rather well.

Barring that, Fabreeze, TuffStuff and 3M will work well.

Believe it or not, Auto Custom Carpet probably has a new replacement for under 150. JC Whitney probably also has good ones too.

If I keep my Olds for the long haul, that's what I'm doing. . The carpet is old and worn in spots, but not dirty at all

Old 07-22-02, 06:47 AM
I think I'm just gonna clean this one, replacing it would be more trouble than it's worth for now. I'm not trying to put this into showroom shape (for now...).

Febreeze? I thought that was just a deodorizor? My car doesn't stink! It just needs a warshin'!

Lol, I'll look for the TuffStuff or 3M. Thanks!!

Old 07-22-02, 07:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Fabreeze makes a stain remover/cleaner.

Old 07-22-02, 08:45 AM
Just bought a near perfect match on the color of the headliner at a fabric store (specifically made for auto headliners) for $14. Went to Advance to get some headliner adhesive ($7) and saw the same stuff, but all packaged in a pretty box, for $30.

Heck, including the spray, a new pair of scissors (which we desperately need!) and a bag of chocolates (fabric store had them on sale, couldn't resist) I spent $25.

Now, let's see if removing/replacing the headliner myself is worth saving the other $80!

Mako

Old 07-22-02, 09:53 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
carpet cleaner

Had darn good results with hoover carpet cleaner, 3 or 4 oz in a gal of hot water. Use it in home shampooer. Attachment has 2 small opposing brushes that turn from shampooer suction. After cleansing I use straight vacuum to remove excess water. Leave doors open a couple hours and good to go. Brushes are not really harsh enuff to cause a problem..

Old 07-22-02, 11:26 AM
I thought about dying the carpet, but in the end it would cost as much, including the cost for cleaner, to replace it all together. But then again removing all that is a PITA. We'll see how lazy I get soon.

Mako

Old 07-22-02, 04:47 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can probably replace the carpet and insulation in an afternoon.

Take up the sill plates (5 phillips screws each side, take out the seat belts (two Torx screws), the seats (1/2" or 13mm bolts, 8 in total, and the carpet should just pull out of the floor area.

Lay in the new carpet an insulation and tuck it all in where it goes. It will be fitted for the car. Done .

Old 07-23-02, 05:06 AM
I did all of that to an 86 Cavalier once, I ordered the custom fit carpet from Pep Boys. The new carpet didn't fit tight like the old one. Never did look right.

Old 07-23-02, 05:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
There's your answer. You didn't order the right one.

Auto Custom Carpets makes the right ones for your cars. They supply all of the restoration vendors out there with carpets.