crank sensor?

Old 07-22-02, 03:34 PM
crosswind
Visiting Guest
Unhappy crank sensor?

my wifes '96 pontiac transport is cutting off and sometimes completely stalling when accelerating, sometimes when just at cruising speed, but not at idle. Engine idles very well. Engine is 3.4 L 6 cylinder. I've been told the crank sensor is going out, the ground wire needs to be tightened, the spark plug wires should be changed, or the ignition modulator needs to be replaced. Nobody knows for sure. Happens more when the weather is hot. Any suggestions?

Old 07-22-02, 04:01 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow

I would suggest to check the basics first like one of the moderator suggests. Like the plugs wires & other basic essentials. When was the last time you did a tune up? Good luck on the repairs. keep me posted.

OM

Old 07-22-02, 04:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with OM. Find a shop that stops guessing and knows how to do some testing. That will narrow the problem down and eventually find the solution. Parts can be tested before they are damned as being bad.

Old 07-23-02, 01:41 PM
crosswind
Visiting Guest
crank sensor?

I took your advice and went to inspect the plug wires and plugs. However, it appears that you have to pull the engine in order to get to the 3 on the back side. This one is going to the mechanic. One thing I forgot to mention, the battery in the vehicle had been weekened by the heat in the past few weeks, and my son leaving the lights on. The mechanic said that may have instigated the problem, and it may be that the computer needs to be reset? I will reply when the final results are in.

Old 07-23-02, 01:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ok, let us know.

Old 07-26-02, 05:30 AM
crosswind
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up crank sensor?

Like you said, always check the basics. When I told the mechanic that the poor running condition was possibly precipitated by a failing battery, he aggreed. The diagnostic test showed many possible faults, but they all were being caused by a drop in voltage. When the battery was replaced, all symptoms vanished. Simple enough, but you almost have to pull the engine to change the battery in this vehicle!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: