over heating

Old 07-22-02, 09:29 PM
alwpjw
Visiting Guest
over heating

I have a 98 dodge caravan. It started to overheat last night. The cooling fans are not coming on to cool the engine. The coolant is not flowing out of the resouvre. I pulled out the thermostat and could'nt tell if it were good or bad. This is also effecting the a/c in that it does'nt cool the way it did yesterday. The fuses are all fine. I think it's the thermostat, but would it cause the fans to stop running ?? Or the a/c to stop cooling ? Also, I let it idol with the themostat removed (reattached the hose of course) for about fifteen minutes and it stayed at about the halfway point. The a/c did not work at all though. Fluid is floresant as it should be. Help !!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-02, 10:01 PM
well sounds like your fans are not working as you have said your a/c isnt working cause your fans are not coming on and cooling the freon in the a/c condensor back to a liquid state which causes the high side pressure to run really high so i would keep the a/c off until you have the fans working to avoid damaging a/c components,
a few possible causes for the cooling fan or fans not to work bad fan motors , blown fuse or fusible link, bad fan control relay , these are the 3 most common causes, you need to check for power and ground to the fans, are hook them up directly to the battery just to make sure the fan motor is okay for starters.

Old 07-22-02, 10:27 PM
alwpjw
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I will look into that tomorrow. in the meantime, no A/C. Talk to you tomorrow.