Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ford Explorer idling problem

Visiting Guest

07-23-02, 06:23 AM   #1  
smanFord
Ford Explorer idling problem

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition, and I have had some recent problems with the engine idling. A few months back, when it was cooler, I would crank the engine, and with the engine in park, the engine would automatically rev up, then sink back down to a low, rough idle, then rev up again. It would do this until it seemed to warm up. If I put the car into gear before it seemed to warm up, it would just idle to nothing and cut off. The other day, I cranked the engine, and it immediately cut off. It would not cut off if I gave it gas, but the second I took my foot off, it would cut off. I finally revved it manually and shifted into gear, and it started running, and then I haven't had that problem since. It seems that the cold and warm weather problems are related. Any ideas on what it is?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-23-02, 07:57 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Could be an idle air control valve problem, but this is a 1999 vehicle. The manufacturer's warranty should cover the repair (parts and labor) at no charge.

Get it to the dealer and make them repair it under warranty.

Visiting Guest

01-22-03, 09:44 AM   #3  
Bugs2929
Air Control valve Problem

Joe - I have a 1997 Explorer 4.0 SOHC with the same symptoms as the gentlemen with the '99.
Would you elaborate on the issue? My Explorer is long since out of warranty.
Thanks, Bugs

Visiting Guest

01-22-03, 09:52 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Clean out the throttle body with the Ford approved cleaner available at the dealer. If that fails change the idle air control valve.

Could also be other issues too.

Check autolibrary.org below for more on the idle air control valve.

Search this Thread