1998 Geo Metro

Old 07-23-02, 09:03 AM
fancynancy415
Visiting Guest
Angry 1998 Geo Metro

I purchased a 1998 Geo Metro in 1998, five months later the vehicle encountered a bad piston. Chevrolet would only replace the piston and not the engine and then would not extend the warranty on the vehicle, everyone that i have talked to says that replacing one piston increases the compression on that cylinder while the others remain weak and would eventually cause other problems. I don't know if this is true but my vehicle went over 109000 mile about suix days ago and encountered the same problem as before.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-02, 09:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Chances are if the one piston is bad, the rest are not far behind it, but not in all cases do you have to change all the pistons.

If I were in your shoes with that little shoe, I would call up GM and tell them that there's problems once again and they should replace ALL the pistons this time and make good on their word and repair. If they say "the vehicle's out of warranty", tell them you want a goodwill warranty...special consideration outside the regular warranty...after all, this is the 2nd time for this type of problem (and it's not normal...pistons last the lifetime of the vehicle in most cases!).

If you complained during the repair/warranty, you might have more recourse. However your argument to that is that you are not a mechanical expert and you assumed that they checked the other pistons and saw no problems replacing one...however, they should know better, cars are their business, not yours .

I would try to fight GM on this. They may go for a partial reimbursement on the repair.