93 Ford Ranger starting problem

Old 07-23-02, 11:14 AM
johnds
Visiting Guest
93 Ford Ranger starting problem

I acquired a 93 Ranger 6 months ago; V6 with fuel injection, not sure of engine size but, as it has great power, I assume it is 4.0 L, 92000 miles, very good condition. Has run great but a week ago quit starting when it was warm. That is, it starts immediately when it AND the weather are cool (say in the morning with temperature below 70 or so); however, it will crank and crank but not start late in the day or when warm. I replaced the fuel filter and now, it will not start at all, even when cold. Also, when I switch it on, I do not hear anything that sounds like a fuel pump. As the fuel supply system, (as/per the description in the Ranger manual) seems rather complex, I am reluctant to try replacing things until it starts to work. Any suggestions?

Later(7/24/02) Further checking shows good spark but little or no fuel pressure. Any suggestionds on what to try next?

Last edited by johnds; 07-24-02 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-02, 11:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be a fuel problem.

Do you always have spark? If you always have spark at the plugs, then the ignition system is probably ok.

If so, then rent a fuel pressure gauge from any Autozone. With that in mind, check your fuel pressure and tell us what it is.

Check the link below in autolibrary that I have for fuel pressure specs, etc.

Old 07-26-02, 09:37 AM
johnds
Visiting Guest
goog spark, no fuel pressure

As noted, the spark seems ok. I was not able to locate a fuel pressure gauge but, on disconnecting the fuel filter, there was no pressure and little fuel in the line. The fuse for the fuel sustem is ok. I have heard that the "relay" for this syatem may be suspect but I have not identified this or any other "relay" in the wiring. Where is it , what does it look like (the Ranger manual I have provides no information on this).

Old 07-26-02, 09:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Go to any Autozone store and they will rent you a fuel gauge for free. Then tell us what the fuel pressure is. Check that before going any further.

Old 07-26-02, 10:15 AM
The relay you are looking for should be in black box next to the battery. When you do the fuel pressure check, if you get 0 pressure, check the fuel pump saftey switch, usually on rangers of this year location is just other side of passager side of the floor tunnel just under the dash, behind the carpet, make sure the center button is push in. This would not cause warm start problems, but might be why it wont start since you replace the fuel filter. Good Luck.

Old 07-29-02, 11:08 AM
johnds
Visiting Guest
Smile Relay was the problem!

There was no fuel line pressure. When I replaced the fuel pump relay, everything started woeking; all is well and thanks to all.

johnds