Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

98 Stang....OD problem

Visiting Guest

07-23-02, 04:27 PM   #1  
masterjoe
98 Stang....OD problem

My 98 Mustang 3.8L intermittenly hesitates to go into OD under normal acceleration. Other gears change smoothly around 2200 RPM....but from 5th to OD, I have to step on the gas then it jerks into OD around 3000 RPM.

I once had a 'OD OFF' light blinking....it's gone after a day but I don't know what's wrong with my car.

I took it to dealer and they replaced a torque converter. Problem was gone for little bit(about 6 months) and now it's back.
Could it possibly be a transmission module?? or something mechanically wrong??

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-23-02, 05:39 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Check www.alldata.com for known bulletins on this problem.

I'd bet there's old and wiped out tranny fluid in the tranny from the converter change. It's mixing with new fluid and causing a shudder.

Back to the dealer to have them do it right...and for free under warranty.

07-23-02, 10:55 PM   #3  
The ford aod is legendary for being junk. Sorry, I have one myself and have had it rebuilt, in fact, I had an 89 mustang aod, went out at 45 k.

2 sites that are awesome for you.

http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/

and

Superstallions.com

Some real good people there!!!

07-24-02, 07:39 AM   #4  
LMAO I read some of the posts in the RANT forum. If you need a good laugh, check it out!!! That is hilarious!!!

Ford makes such a great truck but that is IT. If it doesn't have an F150, 250, or 350 on the side of it, it's a POS.

It's amazing to me that they outsell the Camaro, and now the better-than-a-stinking-horse Camaro will go extinct soon .
I hope Chevy has another ponycar in the line up soon, like the SSR.

07-24-02, 09:19 AM   #5  
How are you doing mako? I think I have seen you in the LS1 forum, so I know where you are coming from.

Simply put, the mustang is better built than any camaro, that is the reason why it sells better, not including the better looks.

Don't get me wrong, I think the camaro is one kick ass machine, and chevy had some major balls for putting a vette engine in a camaro. However, the design genious at chevy stopped there.
If you read any consumer reports, motor trend, or any car magazine, they all say the same thing about the camaro--it is a fire breathing monstor with absolutely 0 sofistication, poor build quality, and bad trim fit, and of course uncomfortable over any long trip.

The opposite is always said about the mustang.
Sometimes you have to step back and look at why something sells so damn well for over 30 years and think, hmmm, maybe they do have a good product.
I think it is funny how the major topic at ls1 is the 390 horse camaro, who is scared now.

Take care, friendy debate, not war.

Visiting Guest

07-24-02, 09:23 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Consumer Reports hates anything with a pulse .

Use CR to buy your Whirlpool over your GE, but not your Chevy over your Ford .

They need a LARGE clue about cars before they provide anything of value. One tool of many .

07-24-02, 10:04 AM   #7  
Consumer Reports are morons, not so much for the Ford besting Chevy thing, but they automatically rate anything Japanese or German over American. The Lincoln LS is one hell of a machine yet they rate it crappy over things like the Camry and whatnot. They say it doesn't compete with BMW. Yet, a comparably equipped Bimmer is $million more than an LS. So, are they fair? No.

Agreed with the Camaro design and comfort. They did, and have for a while, sucked. But IMO they are faster and more reliable, and I think there is more bolt-on power for them.

Stang is a good car no doubt if you like class and comfort but I still would buy a Camaro (if the price wasn't so inflated, which is part of the belly-up and Chevy never figured that out).

BTW I don't go to LS1's site, but I think there's a Mako over there. I'm not a mechanic or sports car owner, I just like to look, chat, and occasionally drive.

07-24-02, 10:26 AM   #8  
I have been fairly distraught over camaro's demise, I am afraid that the mustang could become 4 banger fwd with no competitition, but it looks like they are going after vettes now, that is ok.

I did here some hopeful news about the camaro. One guy high up at chevy said " we'd be crazy if you think we are going to kill the camaro name permanently"

I think they are going to step back, give it a lot of thought, then come back full force with the introduction of one serious camaro with 5-10 years.

07-24-02, 11:34 AM   #9  
I was glad to see the Mustang chasing the Vette- it's a top notch competitor (Cobra speaking). Honestly, though, that's the niche for the T-Bird. I'd love to see them make an SVT Thunderchicken with a supercharged 4.6 or 5.4V8. No Vette could handle that other than maybe a Z06.

For exotic looks and raw power (my personal erogenous zones), the Vette rules in the domestic category (sparing the terribly expensive Saleen supercars, and I'm not talking about mustangs). For sheer class and looks, it's the Thunderbird.

But the Stang can't ever be a 4banger pawdigger. Thems fightin words. I hope they keep the Focus in that category and the Mustang out. I am sickened at the fact that ANY Mustang was ever a 4banger. Heresy. My wife had one and it was a slow POS.

Search this Thread