Cutlass headliner

Old 07-24-02, 04:54 AM
Cutlass headliner

86 Cutlass Supreme

OK all, I got the headliner out. I can't believe how cheap the board is- cheap cruddy foam. But just getting to it was, as you warned me Joe, a PITA.

I cleaned the "board" off with a wire brush and washed pretty much ALL of the old rotted foam off of it, dried it, and glued the new headliner on. Used a whole can of "Heads Up" headliner aerosol!

Meanwhile, I managed to break the corners of the board off, just smaller than your hand, on the front of the board (near visors). I'm sure I can just glue the one piece that stayed in one piece to the headliner, but the other corner that broke off is disintegrated. I'm gonna try to use something sorta sturdy, like folded aluminum foil, to hold the carpet up. If anyone has better idea, I'm open!

The biggest concern though, is the trim that I had to remove. If anyone has any tips on putting the trim back up, I'd love it!

I managed to break several of the insert clips that hold the trim up along the front and back. What should I do to replace them? I dunno where to find new ones. They have to fit inside the trim- the trim slides over the clips to secure the trim. Heck, I may just drill and screw them on!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-02, 06:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
See any GM dealer for the replacement clips. You can also try a body supply shop or any good parts store with such assortments. They will have them in stock or have to order it.

Bring a sample with you, some of the older parts books list clips and hardware like that in VERY strange spots.

As for the board, you should be OK. If not, just get another board from a similar year Cutlass and put your new material on that.

I told you it was a PITA . I did it on my 80 Trans Am, hardtop. VERY easy because there's very little trim . My T-top Trans Am will be a bit harder, but I'm not worried.

Patience, patience, patience . I know these cars inside out. Lol.

Old 07-24-02, 06:19 AM
You have no idea how glad I am to have you here to help out!!!

I'll call the local Olds dealer to see if they can get them. Thanks!

Mako

Old 07-24-02, 06:22 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Doesn't have to be an Olds dealer. Any GM dealer (any division but Saturn) will do. The clips are probably common to other GM cars and trucks of that vintage.

You're welcome and good luck.

Old 07-24-02, 07:03 AM
Well, GM dealers that are worth a poot are slim pickings around here. I honestly have a grudge with all three.

At the Pontiac/GMC/Buick place, I bought an S10 and the sales rep lied about the engine (I wound up with 2.8 not 4.3, a sucky engine).

At the one Chev/Olds/Caddy place, they are generally just rude to anyone who isn't spendng $600 a pop.

At the other Chevy place, I had a HUGE HUGE run in with the redneck idiot owner. I bought a truck from them a few years back, had it repaired there (insurance work) twice when I was hit in Jan and March. When it was totalled in June, I had it parked there. I went back to get the tires (brand new) on Jul 3rd at 5 pm. They told me they close at 6:30 earlier that day. I was gonna bring in older tires the next day. The owner smarted his mouth off at me and said I had 10 minutes to get out. They decided out of nowhere to close early. Then he told me in the rudest manor I've ever dealt with that "YOU AINT PUTTIN NO TRUCK ON BLOCKS HERE". So I recommended that he place those tires where the sun don't shine. My nephew, the recipient of the new $400 set of tires for his truck, got REAL mad and HE told the guy off. My nephews only 15. I LMAO when he went off on the guy. This [email protected] was in this HUGE 2002 Chevy HD towing a trailer full of palm trees, obviously the only thing he was worried about was his own wallet.

Suffice it to say that this @$$hole wound up letting me come back on the 4th to get my tires.

I will NEVER EVER set foot on thier property again. That jerk can kiss you know what. I have met the owners of several dealerships and all of them seemed like coastal-resort, more-refined-than-thou, upity, snotty, cocky, belligerant, money-rules-all kinda pricks. I have more respect for death-row inmates that I do for them dealers.

I hate dealers if I can avoid them but this time I don't think I have a choice!

Sorry for the rant, I'm still pissed.

Old 07-24-02, 07:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Call this guy up and tell him I sent you. Tell him, "He's the guy you always call in NYC for old Pontiac parts that you can't find and he bought a spoiler from you. " He'll know who I am, I called him yesterday.

If all else fails just say, "Yea, Joe F from NYC with the '79 10th Anniversary Trans Am" THAT will ring a bell with him.

Jim Barry, Parts Manager at Roper Pontiac in Joplin, MO @ 417-625-5550.

Jim is a very patient easy going man and will help out on old stuff. He'll also ship directly to you and be reasonable in price. He was with me. I got a great dealing buying up some obsolete stuff from him.

If he can't help, ask him for the GM part #s and go to www.gmpartsdirect.com with the numbers he gives you and order them online.

Let us know what you find. Sounds like you have some pretty bad dealers there. Around here they fold up when they are that bad . I have a string of good dealerships I use. Roper Pontiac is one of them.

Old 07-24-02, 09:12 AM
Thanks- will do as soon as I get the cell phone from my wife to call!! I hope they come in soon b/c my car looks pathetic w/o the liner in it.

BTW, as I was taking the liner out, I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a blue spark coming from the dome light (which was dangling beside the seat belt at this point). At that point, all the lights went out in the car (blew fuse I guess). I had removed the bulb from it previously to keep it from igniting that foam crud, so I guess it touched the car frame and shorted out the fuse. Sound right? Do these things ever short circuit and cause fires?

Old 07-24-02, 09:15 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, just shorting to ground. Should be ok now.

Let me know if Jim was able to help you or not.

Old 07-24-02, 04:34 PM
Hey Mako! If He doesn't have your items, I would suggest the junkyard. Something like clips were likely used on most gm products of that era, Bet you 10$ you will find them in less than 10 mins!! Cost you a buck or so for 600 clips

You could of course get creative with the board. Measure the board and go to home depot, get creative!! Once the headliner is in, It should look good as new!

Old 07-25-02, 05:07 AM
I thought about getting creative. My landlord, and good friend, dreamed up this idea of taking some of that metallic-sheen silk-looking material and having my Mom sew some thin padding to it, and make it one of those diamond patterns.

Since Mom is moving this week to North Carolina and I'm moving to Charleston SC (both places 3 hrs away from York SC where we live now) neither of us have time, so I bought some plain jane headliner stuff from Hancocks Fabrics (nice ladies in there, very helpful, they even knew how to take the old headliner out!!!).

Anyhow, if I can, I'll get some pics up one day soon. Car looks nasty right now but once I get this stuff done it'll be nice!

Mako

Old 07-26-02, 12:14 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
I buy lots of GM stuff from Nucar GM Parts Distributors. Order online or call 302-322-6606. Tim, Steve, Mark, Kenny, Wayne or Jim will be happy to help you.

Dave Greytak owns the Nucar dealerships & he's a very nice, down to earth guy. Meet him at a Super Chevy Show near you.

Another good source is Lustine GM Parts. I've dealt w/ them in the past & they've never let me down.

Old 07-26-02, 04:38 AM
As it turns out, I really don't need the clips. The trim in the back was the one that I broke the clips on, but there are two screws, one at each end, that also hold it up. They are enough.

I got the headliner up yesterday, after a lot of sweating and cursing. The headliner isn't what gave me all the problem- it was trying to get the friggin trim back in place as it should be. If I ever have to do it again, I'll know exactly how it goes, but the first time was a total NIGHTMARE. Looks good now, though!

Old 07-26-02, 05:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good job Mako!

I suggest you look into getting an OEM manual for the car. It's worth its weight in gold if you are going to stick with it. I'm looking for a few for my cars and its money well spent. You can pick them up used on the web or at most swap meets.

Old 07-29-02, 06:45 AM
Joe- did you find that front chrome body piece? All the junkyards/salvage morons around here are clueless (they didn't even have a rear bumper for a 1990 C1500, as if there aren't bazillions of them out there).

I'll also check the salvage places once I move. I'm moving to Charleston SC, and with that big of a city, there's bound to be pieces out there.

Speaking of chrome, I have a question regarding the metal trim that it around the window, and also the metal piece that is under the windshield wipers. It's badly oxidated. At least that's what it looks like. The metal (aluminum?) is turning white. I've tried Mother's Mag polish, Turtle Wax Chrome polish, even sterling jewelry polish. I also tried kitchen-grade steel wool, Scotch-brite, and regular old elbow grease. Nothing works- it all seems to make it worse.

What can I do to shine it back up????? I'm on my wit's end on this. The wheels polished up shiney as a new nickel, but the metal trim is ug-buttley.

Old 07-29-02, 11:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mako:

Give me some time, and I'll find some more items. Hang in there, you're moving anyhow . Yes, most salvage yards won't know or let you pick the small pieces, that's why I started saving them back in 1990 !

The piece you are talking about is likely badly ruined and should be replaced. You can use Mother's Metal polish (in the red jar and looks like white paste), but that might ruin the finish. It's like a brushed aluminum piece and gets pitted quickly .

Old 07-29-02, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure that the finish was ruined by the Mothers. I tried it, no avail.

Can't I get a drill or rotary tool, or side grinder with some sort of metal polishing disk to hone down the surface of the aluminum to make it shiney again?

Sorry for seeming like I was getting impatient...lol I guess I was.

Thanks,

Mako

Old 07-29-02, 11:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I have a lot of stuff back there in storage, give me time Mako.

I was awoke on my day off to a flood at my grandfather's house. Turns out the plumber he had fix the toilet some time ago cracked the water feed nut. I replace the supply line and put in a new Fluidmaster ballcock. Yes, I do it all . Lol. Ok now.

You could try to refinish the thing, you lose nothing. That's my view on it. If not, find one in the yard in better shape and work with that. I've done that on my 84 Delta 88 at the You pull it yards in the area. I've freshened the car nicely over the years with trim parts from the yard. Works great and costs a ****load less than new GM !

Old 07-29-02, 12:19 PM
Wow- yes you do it all. Fixin a toilet is about as fun as fixing a bad water pump.

For a side grinder to polish the aluminum, what type/material disc would you recommend? I was thinking a light wire disk may do it. I have polished dirty and soot-burnt exhaust pipes to a nice luster with one before.

Old 07-29-02, 12:44 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A little wet sanding may help with progressively rougher sandpaper. I would say keep it wet/lubed and keep it moving to prevent more damage.

If it's turned to like a "gold/bronze" color, the chrome plating has likely worn off and it cannot be saved without replating. Pitch it for a good used piece from the yard. Should be really cheap.

Old 07-29-02, 12:50 PM
Oh- so it's plating.... ok... I'll have to be careful. Either that, or learn how to like the bronze look!

Old 07-29-02, 04:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Or give it a quick spray of "chrome in a can" Lol. Yuck :P

Old 07-30-02, 05:09 AM
So you're a comedian too, huh?

Oddly, isn't mercury supposed to be good for polishing? I also hear it gives you a nice personality twist if you use it enough.

Old 07-30-02, 09:28 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Freddy Mercury? Oh wait he was the lead singer of the 70's rock band Queen....

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" (sings in the background to himself at work with people looking around...lol).

Old 07-30-02, 09:55 AM
Joe I don't even want to think about what Freddy Mercury was polishing.

Old 07-30-02, 10:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ahem, well keep it clean. Lol.

He was a good rock singer, that's all I'm saying. Seemed like a strange guy otherwise.

Old 07-30-02, 11:06 AM
I still get the bohemian rhapsody(sp?) stuck in my head!

i'm just a poor boy nobody loves me.....
he's just a poor kid from a poor family.....

Old 07-30-02, 12:39 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Or "We are the Champions" (I think it's really another name, but I call it by that name ).