Sqeaky wheel.

Old 07-24-02, 12:14 PM
Ceaser
Visiting Guest
Sqeaky wheel.

Hello,

I own a 87 Astro van with alot of kms on it. I notice a constant squeak last week while I was driving. It's worse now. More like a grind. I'm guessing that it's a wheel bearing. Asuming that's it, will the wheel fall off if I drive it another week at low speeds (city driving, 35-40kms) I need it for work & work is only a couple minutes away. I can't get anyone to look at it til next Thurs.
I know it's got to be risky, but how risky?
Ceaser.

Last edited by Ceaser; 07-24-02 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-02, 01:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on the noise. Tough to say by your description. Don't gamble.

Shelve the truck until it can be looked at and fixed. Your life is not worth risking. Bus fare is cheaper in the interim.

Old 07-24-02, 01:40 PM
Ceaser
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Just drove it .

Well it seems to quiet down while turning but as soon as I start to straighten out the wheels it's on again. When I speed up a bit it too speeds up, like et....et.....et.....et faster et..et..et..et faster et.et.et.et.........know what I mean. (Oh it's not a grind it's definitly a squeak, I was tired last night & didn't hear it very well it was a stormy rainy night.)
Like I said I need it for work, I have no choice but to drive for the next 5 days anyhow. Can't fit my tools on a bus or in a cab. (I'm a drummer in a rock band & my drums have to go where ever I do.) But I can drive as low a 25 km the whole trip, to get to work.. & thats slow.
So how much damage can I do if it's a wheel bearing?
Ceaser

Old 07-24-02, 02:02 PM
Ceaser
Visiting Guest
Smile Asked the mechanic for a sooner apointment! & got it!

Joe,

Thanks for the advice. Since my last post I gave it some though that mabe if I asked nicely they could squeaze me in. Well they had a cancelation. Ya right I bet they just had me on the back burner cause It sounded like a boring job & I wasn't persistent the first time. Ha!
Ceaser.

PS.But just out of curiosity what could've happened?

Old 07-24-02, 03:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A bad wheel bearing COULD in theory allow the wheel to come off, but it's not likely.

More than likely you could wipe out the spindle and the rotor, which will set you back a few hundred more