1991 ford exploder transmission

Old 07-24-02, 04:34 PM
diamondgirl
Visiting Guest
Exclamation 1991 ford exploder transmission

I have a 1991 Ford Explorer (exploder), 2 wheel drive, 2 door, 4.0 L V6 with a A4LD transmission in it. I have had some problems with it but have tried to take good care of it (besides my lead foot). I have changed the transmission filter/fluid every 5000 miles. Now I am having problems with drive. If I start the engine and put it in reverse it will go into gear and it's like there is nothing wrong. When I put it in Drive or any other gear ( OD,2,1) it will take forever to kick-in ( I mean sometimes 20+ mins, longer when motor/tranny is cold) but once it is in gear it will drive like brand new, no slipping, no hesitation on shift, no sluggishness. Is there something I can do to fix this, or do I need to change, rebuild trannys. If I need to change or rebuild would it be better to go to a 4 or 5 speed manual, and if so what tranny would that be.

any help that any one can give would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-02, 06:35 PM
make sure you fluid level is in the correct operating range, if it is it most likley has a valve sticking in the valvebody it was common on old ford transmissions but not so common on that late of a model they do make an additive to help the problem but i cant remember the name of it i would suggest you call around to reputable transmission shops tell them your problem and see what they recomend they may suggest you replace the valvebody which should be considerably cheaper than replacing the whole transmission, and they would likely know the name of the additive that would help free up the valves in the valvebody.

Old 07-24-02, 07:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I think BeJay is thinking of "TransX".

However, it's a stopgap solution at best. Shop around for some rebuilts. If the truck is worth keeping, go with a Ford FQR rebuilt which will have all updated parts.

You cannot change to a 5 speed manual without a lot of headache.