1993 grand voyager

Old 07-24-02, 04:51 PM
major6427
Visiting Guest
1993 grand voyager

I have a 1993 grand voyager with 196k and a 3.3L. Everything runs great but sometimes the brakes are fine and sometimes they are very hard, when they are hard tho with enough pressure they do work. I have been told by different shops that it is the master cylinder, or the booster, or the electronically assist, or the relay. The van does have ABS so I was told that the booster was electronically assisted and that would cost between 1200 and 1800 to replace, but if it was the relay it would cost 400 for the relay alone not including labor. Am I being taken for a ride or is a little plastic 2 inch by 2 inch relay that expensive?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-02, 05:29 PM
well there is a tech service bulletin on some of the models wich extended the warranty on all abs components to ten years or 100000 miles , although you are over on mileage, the two major and probably the most expensive components of that system has a lifetime warranty, so if you may want to look up the bulletin and print it off and take to dealer and see if you vehicle qualifies and have the dealer diagnoss the problem with the brakes to determine if it is a covered part or not.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...s/central2.cfm

Old 07-25-02, 03:15 PM
major6427
Visiting Guest
recall

I called my local chrysler dealership and gave them the last 9 of my VIN, told them my problem and they said it was covered by the recall. I've been married 3 weeks so money is very tight. I can't thank you enough for the help, it saved us alot of money. Thank you again.

Old 07-25-02, 05:07 PM
Electronic assist?

Wouldn't the electronic assist part only take over during abs activation? Don't these vans still have vacuum boosters exclusively?

I've seen hydraulic assist from the power steering pump but never electric assist. (Yet)

Old 07-25-02, 05:22 PM
these paticular models had an electric pump which boosted the pressure when it fell to a certain pressure the pump would kick in and run giving you power brakes they did not use a vacum booster or power steering assist but probably wish they would have now.

Old 07-25-02, 07:11 PM
major6427
Visiting Guest
grand voyager

I was told that the ABS indicator on the dash would light up when I applied the brakes but it doesn't. I had to get on the brakes hard today and even tho is was rock hard the ABS seemed to be working, I just don't want my wife to drive it this way because it takes all I have in leg power just to hold the van at a dead stop in gear.