1991 Honda Civix DX

Old 07-24-02, 06:25 PM
yellowfrog
Visiting Guest
1991 Honda Civix DX

Car specs: 4 door sedan; engine=fuel injected; 5 speed; miles=147,000; make=1991 Honda Civix DX.
Problem = I drove the car a short distance to a destination, turned off the car then got back in about 20 minutes later & it wouldn't start. The starter turned, all of the lights in the console came on, automatic seat belt functioned. I tried pushing the clutch and gas (1rst gas pedal half way down ; 2ncd gas pedal all the way down), but still only the starter would turn. FYI - this vehicle passed emissions with low numbers. If exact numbers would help please let me know.

History of maintenance (bought as a used car so this is what I know about the car's history) 100,499 starter was replaced in 1999. --- 108,000 timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket were all replaced 1999. ----- 1984 distributor updated.

After the car set for approximately 2.5 hours, it started with no trouble at all. This is the only obvious defect with the car - everything else has this far functioned well. Thanks for your help and time.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-02, 07:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When this happens, pull off a plug wire and see if you have spark at the plugs.

I would gather not. This means an ignition problem. Likely culprits are the ignitor, coil and internal parts of the distributor. Very troublesome on 80's Hondas.

Old 07-25-02, 01:02 PM
yellowfrog
Visiting Guest
1991 Honda Civix DX

Thanks Joe F. - I will let you know results when we check it out more in depth. yelowfrog.