Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Patching plaster seam in ceiling after water leak

Visiting Guest

08-03-02, 07:38 PM   #1  
ccb
Patching plaster seam in ceiling after water leak

I have a textured kitchen ceiling and it is hard for me to patch at least. I don't know the technical name but it is the kind in which plaster is added to the drywall and then smoothed with a trowel leaving a texture. I had a water leak in my kitchen ceiling and the drywall tape/seam is not bubbled down in a line down the center of the seam/tape. Is there anyway to repair this without removing the whole line of drywall tape? The less I remove, the less textured ceiling I have to repair. Thank you.

Sponsored Links

OH

08-05-02, 06:16 PM   #2  
Ceiling repair

Cut out bubbled area and patch. Narrow cracks can be filled with patching plaster or a better grade of lightweight non shrinking ready mixed spackling compound. While plaster or compound is wet, attempt to reproduce the pattern of texture. You might want to experiment on a piece of cardboard to practice achieving the textured effect. They may have brushed it with a small broom, used a sea sponge, crinkled paper?

http://doityourself.com/patch/plastercracks.htm

Visiting Guest

08-05-02, 06:49 PM   #3  
ccb
patching plaster seam in ceiling after water leak

Is it OK to patch even though it is the seam between 2 sheets of drywall? Thank you.

OH

08-05-02, 07:07 PM   #4  
Patching ceiling

For loose drywall tape, it is recommended that it be removed and replaced. If the length of the bubble in the tape is small, proceeding as indicated should solve the problem. The drywall is screwed to the ceiling joists.

Visiting Guest

08-05-02, 08:14 PM   #5  
ccb
patching plaster seam in ceiling after leak

Thank you, I will give it a try. The bubble line is thin. Thanks again.

Search this Thread