Repairing outdoor steps

Old 08-06-02, 05:56 AM
slowturn
Visiting Guest
Question Repairing outdoor steps

I have two sets of outdoor steps that curve downward (about 15 steps per side of my porch). The were originally constructed of cement bordered with railroad ties that are now rotting. I'm a bit a novice, and am looking for ideas to repair them. I do not want to replace the railroad ties. What can I do to make it aesthetically pleasing, safe, and long lasting? What materials do you recommend. I would very much like to avoid having to pull the railroad ties out. Is there something I can do with them still part of the steps?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-02, 01:26 PM
Rotten railroad ties

At my mountain cabin I have a long sidewalk that includes a few steps because the lot slopes. It is constructed of gravel held in place with railroad ties. After about 25 years, the railroad ties have begun to badly deteriorate. Unfortunately, there is no repair for rotten and insect damaged wood.

Old 08-12-02, 06:02 AM
slowturn
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I pretty much figured that. I'm going to pull out the ties and replace with 2 x 6 's as support, then build with decking wood over top. This seemed the most economical way. Plus, my steps vary dimensionally, so it will be alot easier to cut the wood as I go than if I would go with stone or block.

Search this Thread