Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

bondo

MD

08-06-02, 04:57 PM   #1  
bondo

hello
is it ok to use bondo(the light weight car repair material) to fill gouges and holes in exterior wood. the company says it is ok but i'd like to check with you. there is alot of filling to do and instead of plastic wood i thought b/c bondo spreads so well and has good adhesion i would apply it over some old screen material that i would screw in to give it something to hold onto. then i could sand prime and paint.
anyway please let me know what you think
thanx
peterr

Sponsored Links

MD

08-07-02, 03:54 AM   #2  
Go for it. The same company who sells bondo has a wood filler product out there also. Saw it used once on a home repair show.

AL

08-07-02, 06:10 AM   #3  
I've used Bondo wood repair and it works fine. It is advisable to rough shape it after it has hardened to the 'rubbery' stage. If it is fully cured, it is quite hard and a real pain to work. I can't tell any difference between their auto-body filler and wood patch material, as I have used both.

MD

08-07-02, 11:50 AM   #4  
bondo = fine

thanks, guys for the comments-i finished the job and it is the way to go -saved alot of replacement and with the right tools it is ez to work with . i hope it is not too affected by the winter temps re: expansion contraction with the materials it is in but i have faith b/c of it's adhesive strength. i spent 1/2 my time trying to get it off my putty knives-but then that's why there is finger nail polish remover.
happy patching!!
peterr

Search this Thread