Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help repairing large hole in plaster wall.

Visiting Guest

08-10-02, 03:53 AM   #1  
chris54
Help repairing large hole in plaster wall.

Hi,
I'm repairing a quite large hole in my plaster wall. I have nailed a piece of plaster to the stud and it sits there fine, but I need to know how to fill the in the gaps around the sides. It's only about a 1/4 inch. I have some Uni - fill ready mix but was just wondering if this was suitable or not.
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links

OH

08-10-02, 01:04 PM   #2  
Plaster board repair

Sand away loose sections and rough edges apply a new coat of joint compound and embed new tape into it. Finish with 2 or more coats of compound, feathering the edges and sanding smooth.

Repairing Larger Holes
This method uses wallboard which is the same thickness as the wall. Cut out a rectangular section including the hole. Use a drywall or key hole saw. Cut a scrap piece of plaster-board to fill the hole of the wall, making it about a quarter of an inch shorter and narrower. This will allow a 1/8" fill border on all sides. Using either scraps of 1" by 3" lumber or firing strips cut a few inches longer than the hole, insert them in the wall so they can be screwed in from the front and edges with drywall screws, and act as a backstop for the new section. Insert the patch, screw it up with drywall screws, and finish with tape and a few coats of compound as above. Sand lightly and paint.

How To Fix Damaged Walls of Plaster Board. DoItYourself.com. Retrieved 10 August 2002. http://doityourself.com/patch/fixdamage.htm

Search this Thread