Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wall Imperfections

Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 01:00 AM   #1  
diyms.homeowner
Wall Imperfections

HELP!! I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THE WALLS IN MY HOME TO ACCOMPLISH TWO THNGS; 1) MAKE MY HOME LOOK NICER (PERSONALIZING IT AT THE SAMETIME AND 2) ENJOYING MY NEW FOUND HOBBY AND HOPEFULLY FEEL GOOD ABOUT MY ACCOMPLISHMENT HOWEVER I'M WORKING WITH WHAT HAS TO BE
THE MOST UNEVEN, PATCHED OVER WALLS IN MY TOWN, THE CHALLENGE IS BECOMING A BIT MUCH. I HAVE TRIED MUDDING, SANDING, TEXTURING(I THINK THAT'S WHAT IT CAN BE CALLED BUT IT'S BEEN VERY TIME CONSUMING, ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! P.S. I WANT TO PAINT, SPONGE, FAUX/GLAZE ETC, BUT WOULD REALLY LIKE THE WALLS AND CEILINGS (SAME PROBLEM) TO LOOK HALFWAY DECENT FIRST. AM I BEING UNREALISTIC CONSIDERING THIS IS AN "OLDER" HOME BUILT IN 1902 BUT PARTIALLY REMODELED IN THE EARLY 80'S ?????

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 04:55 AM   #2  
bungalow jeff
100-year old plaster will never be smooth or straight. That is usually considered part of the charm of an old house. You can always rip out all of your walls and ceilings, install firring strips to even out the rough-sawn lumber that is in an old house and install drywall for the smooth effect. Also, please turn off the Caps Lock button since that is considered the forum equivalent of yelling. I doubt many will bother to read through your post.

Visiting Guest

10-10-02, 02:47 PM   #3  
Hollywood
your best bet would be to skim ther entire ceiling with joint compound.
That's the easiest way. unless you use a heavy texture or you re-hang which is crazy But!!

Take your time use a 10" drywall knife thin the mud down to where you can work with it and apply thin coat's of mud "Just to glaze" the ceiling and lightly sand in between coats.

The Thinner The Better for You.

Search this Thread