straightening out wall/ceiling lines

Old 12-29-02, 08:56 PM
ballpeen
Visiting Guest
straightening out wall/ceiling lines

I had the plaster walls and ceilings in some of the rooms in my house repaired by a plasterer who overall did a good job except that in a couple of the rooms the line where the wall meets the ceiling is somewhat wavy. This is fairly obvious even to the naked eye. It is really obvious when you put a straight edge up to the wall where it meets the ceiling.
The plasterer says that there is not much he can do about this, and that it is not unusual for plaster walls to be a little wavy. (Though it is actually the ceiling and not the walls that is wavy.) In fact, he says that this is one of things people like about plaster walls. (Though I'm not one of them.) He is presently attempting to build down from the ceiling with joint compound to minimize the undulations. Though it doesn't appear to be helping much.
Is there a better way to straighten out these wavy lines?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-02, 10:12 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
The waves are pretty common. I have a question. If this guy is doing all of this plaster work, why is he adjusting with joint compound? It should be a simple matter for a true plasterer to tone down the more obvious waves.

Old 12-30-02, 05:30 AM
ballpeen
Visiting Guest
Jeff:

What should he be using to tone down the waves and how should he be doing it?

Al

Old 12-30-02, 09:35 AM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Well, Plaster. The build up would be like any other finish coat.