Pop Corn ceiling question

Old 01-25-03, 05:15 PM
mayash
Visiting Guest
Pop Corn ceiling question

We have a condo and the water heater upstairs burst and soaked us. The ceiling and condo were dryed very quickly by a company using heated fans and everything looks OK except for from brown spots.
My question is can I just prime and paint over the brown areas or will the ceiling start falling down? Now it feels dry and rock solid with no cracks at all.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-03, 05:15 AM
Denis108
Visiting Guest
To paint or not

The only way you will for sure is to try, as far as a paint. My first reccomendation is Sherwin Williams paint called Pro Block oil base not water base. I've used it on really bad ceilings with good results. If you can't get that then a paint named Kilz oil also. Be sure not over roll, back and forth and thats it, other wise you create suction and might pull it down.Open all the windows you need LOTS of ventilation, I'm speaking from experience on that, and I would even goes as far as to buy a charcoal filter mask. The fumes even with windows open are brutal.First though try it out and see if the accoustic or popcorn stays on, you'll know right away. Good Luck Denis

Old 01-26-03, 10:52 AM
Painting popcorn ceiling

After priming and sealing stains with oil base primer so they don't bleed through, popcorn ceiling will need to be painted with oil base (alkyd) paint. Water based paint will cause the popcorn to dissolve.

Old 01-26-03, 02:55 PM
mayash
Visiting Guest
Oil Based

Good info on the oil base.. I am going to try it in a couple weeks after it is good and dry. can I use a water based ceiling paint over the oil based Kilz? Or will it be a good enough color for a ceiling?

Thanks
Mark

Old 01-26-03, 03:04 PM
Painting popcorn ceiling

After priming and sealing stained areas, paint the ceiling with oil based (alkyd) paint. You can use ceiling white or other color if desired. Avoid water-based paints on popcorn, as water will dissolve the popcorn.