Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Shelves in Plaster walls

Visiting Guest

02-01-03, 07:54 AM   #1  
kipnlew
Shelves in Plaster walls

We have a 1950"s house with plaster walls and we are trying to install shelves. We seem to hit a metal plate that cannot be drilled into. Have tried molly's, different bits, various screws- nothing will go in. Obviously, we are new at this- hopefully the solution is obvious to YOU! We have 6 holes in the wall right now and counting...!

Sponsored Links

SC

02-01-03, 08:15 AM   #2  
What is on the other side of the wall? What may be inside the wall? You might not really want to be able to make this hole.

If you cannot drill where you want, it may be that you could mount a board to the wall with construction adhesive and screw into that. I have plaster walls (1939) and have to get creative at times. I have never found a place I could not drill.

In newer construction, there could be a metal plate mounted over a notch or hole in the stud where a wire passes through to protect the wire from penetration.

Visiting Guest

02-01-03, 09:36 AM   #3  
brickeyee
If there is a hardened plate there, and it sure sounds like it, it is probably protecting something. If you really want to find out, cut a hole nearby and look. But I would never try to force my way through a plate without making sure it is not protecting wiring or plumbing.

Search this Thread