Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall question

Visiting Guest

03-02-03, 12:24 PM   #1  
keaneyg
Drywall question

The last owner did a very poor job finishing the sanding of the walls. the walls are uneven in places. What is the best approach?

Sponsored Links

SC

03-02-03, 12:42 PM   #2  
You can just sand then prime and paint. Or you can apply joint compound, let it dry and sand it to feather out the defects. Then prime and paint. If there are indentations, they will need joint compound to fill them.

Visiting Guest

03-03-03, 09:37 AM   #3  
lestrician
along this same line. I recently boarded up (actually built a wall) between 2 rooms in my house. Since the wall had been textured with layers of paint. I opted for floating out the entire wall (about 17' long x 8' high. One side is almost finished, but I haven't started on the other side. I know you can match texture, but realistically I'm not so good at that so I decided to go for "starting from scratch" At this point I have an allmost perfect wall. When all is said and done I do want to put a very light texture on it. I was just wondering how close to perfect it should be before the final texture. At this point it "appears" good, but has a few pits (I have sanded all the high points) Would a light texture hide the imperfections? and was there a better way to do this?

SC

03-03-03, 06:28 PM   #4  
If the texture does not hide the impertections, then what? I would try to get the dips and lumps filled and sanded to a smooth surface. It will be less trouble than stressing over what the texture did not cover.

MO

03-05-03, 09:56 AM   #5  
keaneyg-

By uneven are you talking just at the seams, or a wave in the wall? If it's just the seams & butt joints, sand it flat, fill any indentions with mud, let it dry, sand it smooth, reprime & paint. But sometimes in older houses, or new ones built with finger studs, you'll get waves in the walls that it would take 1/2 a box of mud to even out. Generally these sort of things can only be seen if you get up close and look down the face of the wall. Ultimately rock is gonna conform to the frame it's attached to.

lestrician-
You need to go back over your finished wall with a skim coat to fills those pits prior to spraying your knockdown coat on it. Best way to simply match existing knockdown is just to have some scrap drywall to spray test shots on to match as nearly as possible the existing pattern. You're finished product is a combination of mud consistency, nozzle size, spray pattern & speed, and drying time prior to knockdown. In short if you're not experienced at the trade, and we're only talking about 2 walls here, you'e probably on the right track. Key to a smooth wall is coats & patience my friend. Good luck, let us know how it turn out.

drew

Search this Thread