Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drywall meets Ceiling: What to do with Torn tape?

Visiting Guest

03-17-03, 07:34 PM   #1  
frankes
Drywall meets Ceiling: What to do with Torn tape?

Greetings from AZ!

I scraped off popcorn ceilings in a 1982 home. Being a humble yet well-meaning yet stupid amateur, I scraped or tore tape here and there at the joint where the ceilings meet the walls.

The tape that got torn is the 1/2 on the ceiling side. (Since this is a joint, 1/2 of the tape is on the ceiling side and the other 1/2 is on the wall side.) The tape on the wall side (the other half of the taped joint) is embedded in a fairly thick orange-peel texture.

What should I do for those areas with torn tape? To have a complete taped/mudded joint for the torn areas, I would have to scrape off the textured wall, then scrape off the old tape on that part of the wall side, then re-tape/mud the joint.

Is this what I need to do?

Thank you,

Frank

Sponsored Links

SC

03-17-03, 07:53 PM   #2  
The damaged tape needs to be replaced.

MO

03-18-03, 09:55 PM   #3  
Hi Frank,

Welcome to the forum.

You're going to want to retape that corner. What are your plans for the ceiling since removing the popcorn texture? Are you going to have them reshot & knocked-down? If so I'd strip out all the tape from that seam, sand it down, retape it, & float it out, then reshoot it when you do the ceiling.

If you do this, score a line at the outside edge of the tape on the wall side. This will make it easier to remove the tape seam w/o wasting the entire wall. Try to just score through the texture and not through the face paper of the sheetrock.

Good luck & let us know how it comes out.

Visiting Guest

03-18-03, 10:50 PM   #4  
frankes
Orange Peel Ceiling

Greetings Dell, and thank you for the advice! I'm probably going to do what you described.

I am going to put an orange peel texture on the ceiling. Could I ask you a couple of questions?

1. On bare drywall, do you prime the ceiling before applying the
orange peel texture?

2. Do you apply one coat of orange peel texture or do you let a first coat dry then apply a second coat?

3. This question may be too broad, but here goes: At what point do you replace damaged drywall (large strips of the paper torn off)?

Thanks again,
Frank

MO

03-18-03, 11:40 PM   #5  
Frank,

No need to replace drywall unless it's bee seriously damaged, i.e. large holes, etc. If ya just go some face paper peeled off, skim coat, sand it lightly and shoot.

I've heard of folks that do orangepeel with a two coat method, never done it that way, or actually seen it done, so can't really comment. Gotta get some sleep now, but I'll try to post you a good reference link tomorrow.

Others here may disagree with me, but I leave the painting to the painters, cuz A) I hate it, B) I don't have to do it, I sub it out & C) He's faster & better at it than me & I still make a cut on his work.

The painters go in after the drywall is hung, finished, and textured.

Talk to ya later.

Visiting Guest

03-19-03, 09:59 PM   #6  
frankes
Drywall gone AWOL

Thank you again Dell! I hope I adequately described the "damaged" drywall. As the saga goes, while scraping down the ceiling, I noticed a fairly think piece of paper that had come up. I pulled on it and somewhat easily tore out a large and long swath of paper. I tore out several similarly sized swaths in this same area. I think I removed the paper right down to the gypsom; I'm guessing that these swaths combined are about 3 feet by 5 feet. Can I just mud over this type of tear?

Humbly,
Frank

MO

03-20-03, 08:07 PM   #7  
Yeah it can be skim coated, especially if you're gonna shoot the ceiling or wall where this occurred.

Sorry, didn't get that texture pic posted, think they either moved or shut down the site. I'll look again tomorrow, been a long day of 20 ft high vaulted ceiling, & another 5:30 am morn. Hang in there & I'l find the texture link for ya.

Visiting Guest

03-20-03, 09:50 PM   #8  
frankes
Thanks Dell -- you are the Patron Saint of Drywall !

MO

03-21-03, 08:26 PM   #9  
Frank,

Can't find the texture page anymore, thinking maybe the site owner has taken down the page. Haven't had a lot of time to look, work obligations are starting to p/u. Gotta work again tomorrow, hopefully be able to take a breath on Sun.

You're looking for an example of orange peel right?

Visiting Guest

03-21-03, 09:14 PM   #10  
frankes
Yes, orange peel is what I'm going to texture the ceiling with.

Thanks,
Frank

Search this Thread