Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

I removed my popcorn celing, now what

Visiting Guest

03-20-03, 09:38 AM   #1  
rmwheeler312
I removed my popcorn celing, now what

Now that I've removed my popcorn ceiling (asbestos free).. I have talked to a few different contractors about ways of redoing it... It seems like there are a few ways. Which is the best way?? I'm looking @3000 sq ft 2 of them vaulted the ceiling throughout most of the house is plaster not drywall...

Sponsored Links

MO

03-20-03, 07:51 PM   #2  
rmwheeler312,

Hi, & welcome.

I'm looking @3000 sq ft 2 of them vaulted the ceiling throughout most of the house is plaster not drywall.
Asuming you're saying that most of your ceilings are P&L, (plaster & lath), the first thing I'd do it is cover them with 1/2" sheetrock. Then depending upon your decorating preferences, shoot a knockdown, orange peel , or just slick finish it, prime & paint or hang wallpaper, or whatever you're finished wall preference is.

What kind of suggestions have your contractors had?

Visiting Guest

03-25-03, 09:01 AM   #3  
rmwheeler312
one of them wanted to put up sheetrock... others wanted to just mud, patch, sand,prime and paint?? and a few think I should drywall my ceiling? I just want it done once and done right.. The ceilings are low already so I want to keep them as high as possible ... I just want it to look good... just tearing off the silly popcorn made it look a whole lot better it's just not clean. Thanks for your help

Last edited by rmwheeler312; 03-25-03 at 09:53 AM.

MO

03-25-03, 07:09 PM   #4  
I'd go with the sheetrock over the plaster. IME it's the easiest way to end up with a clean looking finish. Locate your studs and hang 3/8" rock over it. Not sure if the bigboxes carry 3/8", but your can get it from a drywall supplier or a decent lmbr yd.

Good luck & let us know what you decide & how it turns out.

Search this Thread