Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Patching seams in large colums

Visiting Guest

03-23-03, 11:54 AM   #1  
rickl
Patching seams in large colums

I'm getting ready to piant the large white colums in front of the house and they have huge gaps in the corners 1/4 to 1/2 in. Whats the best way to fill the gaps?

Sponsored Links

MO

03-23-03, 03:59 PM   #2  
Is it the columns or just trim at the tops that's got the gaps? What I'm picturing in my head is maybe something like a piece of quarterround that's pulling away & possibly needs to be retacked. Otherwise 1/4" gap is an awful lot to caulk.

Visiting Guest

03-28-03, 06:37 AM   #3  
rickl

The gaps run up the columns, not the whole length though, and I'm confused about what kind of caulk to use or should I use wood putty? Thanks for the help.

MO

03-29-03, 08:46 PM   #4  
Ok, I've seen ths before, assuming you're planning on repainting the columns, ask at your local harware store or lumber yd for a paintable caulk and apply it & allow it to fully cure prior to painting. Wear a rubber glove like you'd use for washing dishes & such & use your fingers to press the caulk into the cracks works pretty good.

Visiting Guest

03-31-03, 08:45 PM   #5  
rickl
Will do, thanks!

MO

03-31-03, 09:29 PM   #6  
Good luck, don't forget paintable caulk.

Visiting Guest

04-02-03, 06:40 AM   #7  
Jim Weaver
Re: Patching seams in large colums

Originally posted by rickl
I'm getting ready to piant the large white colums in front of the house and they have huge gaps in the corners 1/4 to 1/2 in. Whats the best way to fill the gaps?
The cracks in your columns (if they are vertical) are expansion and contraction problems caused from moisture. Dry out the cracks and repair with expandable epoxy filler from Smith and Company. See www.smithandcompany.org. Jim Weaver weaverpainting.com

Last edited by awesomedell; 04-03-03 at 04:04 AM.

Search this Thread