repairing drywall


Old 04-27-03, 05:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
repairing drywall

I am trying to remodel a bathroom and discovered when I removed the old vanity a cut-out hole in the drywall that is 18" by 3". Can I simply cut out a new piece to fit? or is it better to replace the entire sheet?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-03, 06:23 AM
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Taylors, SC
Posts: 9,483
You can patch the hole.

You can try this:
Where the damage is, cut a patch of wallboard to fit the hole. Cut it square, then cut the wall using your patch as a template the same size and shape as your patch.
Next cut a piece of plywood or even another piece of wall board the same shape as your patch but about 1 inch bigger all the way around. Drill a hole in the center for your finger to fit through. Pass this backer board into the hole and hold it in place with your finger in the hole. Using a couple drywall screws, screw through the wall into the backup board to hold it in place.
Then using the patch of wall board cover the backup board and use joint compound to cover and fill all the seems and screws. Use sand paper (medium) over a block to sand it all flat. It will not be unusual to have to go over it again and fill in some imperfections..

Hope this helps.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes