seam cracks on drywall ceiling

Old 06-07-03, 06:55 AM
Brad Hecht
Visiting Guest

I have converted my garage into a living room. The existing ceiling is 5/8 drywall and appeared to be in good condition,approx 11 yrs old. I sub-contr the taping and mudding. I primed the ceiling and applied flat ceiling paint. Well,much to my dismay I started getting cracks at the seams. How is the best way to repair this. Do I have to redo the seams? I did this to one large crack and for me,It is a long process. The small cracks I have tried to fill with a vinyl spackle but with little success. I have called the sub-cont,but getting them out is like pulling teeth,and I don't want to wait on them. We are ready to move in! They also said it might be because the drywall is old,and I might have to put new drywall over the old? Very frustrating. Any advice would really be appreciated.Thank you.
Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-03, 08:14 AM
Hello Brad & welcome to the forums.

I'd say first to forget about the sub that you hired to do the taping, obviously he's not too good if you've still got cracked seams.

Drywall/sheetrock can be successfully retaped as long as the seams are solid. You need to get up there & ensure all the seams are securely attached to the studs. I suspect that your ceiling is starting to sag & needs additional screws added to tighten it up. Once you've got that done, strip off the tape from the bad seams & retape them. I'd use Lite Drywall joint compound for the mud, spackling isn't the product to use for this application.

You can find complete instructions on mudding & taping drywall here on the site, check out the links on this page,
http://doityourself.com/wall/index.htm

Your other option would be to look into getting a different pro over there to handle the job for you. A good pro ought to be able to have the place ready for repaint within a few days, but keep in mind this is their busy season. I'd advise you to get 3 or more bids and check references.

Good luck & post back if you've still got ?'s.

Old 06-09-03, 03:14 PM
mudder
Visiting Guest

got to agree with dell there about the sub "the drywalls old"??
thats BS unless it was saggy. But even so there shouldn't be 'cracks' if there is tape over the joints. Is it possible that you are seeing the edges of the tape pulling away from the drywall?

Old 06-10-03, 09:51 AM
Brad Hecht
Visiting Guest
Yes, it is the edges of the tape. On the one seam that I replaced it was obvious that the tape was lose underneath the paint and once I started to pull there was no going back. The other cracks are also the edges of the tape. I would really like to not have to go and replace the seams if there is anyway to fix the problem. Thanks for the help. This is a awesome website for the DIY weekend warriors.
Brad

Old 06-10-03, 10:25 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
not to bad then. where you can actually lift the tape press mud underneath it and press it down by smoothing all along repair. Wait for it to dry and apply another coat. Sounds like the guy skimped on mud or just pressed out too much mud when taping. If the tape is not loose but still shows it needs another coat of mud.