Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sheet rock

Visiting Guest

06-09-03, 08:34 AM   #1  
fjclaus
Sheet rock

I just used some DIF stuff that I got from Home Depot to strip wallpaper in my bathroom. When my wife was stripping it she thought there was a semi-gloss paint behind the wallpaper and that we needed to strip that too.

After I got in there, I think it is not semi-gloss paint on top of plaster, but instead it is the soaked outter paper of the sheet rock wall.

My problem is due to my wife and I scraping too hard we have stripped some of it. We want to prime and paint this wall, but not sure what to do. Do we have to do something to this sheet rock that was torn, or can we just prime and paint over it?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

06-09-03, 03:03 PM   #2  
mudder
Sheet rock

these defects will show thru the paint and the 'edges of the tears will usually bubble. You really should patch these with mud. If they are not very deep over fill them and sand flush.

Visiting Guest

06-09-03, 03:12 PM   #3  
fjclaus
Thanks for the advise. I will stop and pick some up on my next trip to Home Depot. Can you give me any advise on how to strip the wallpaper in my other rooms without incountering this again? Or is this something that will happen every time no matter how careful you are?

Visiting Guest

06-09-03, 05:13 PM   #4  
mudder
Sheet rock

dif is an excellent product. let it soak in for 10-15 minutes before peeling of wallcovering. Sometimes only the first layer the vinyl comes off. Soak it again and wait again. Impatience causes most of the damage(know by experience lol)

Search this Thread