Texture Ceiling - how ?

Old 07-31-03, 05:54 PM
tk1469
Visiting Guest
Texture Ceiling - how ?

I'm installing ceiling board inside a cabin that I'm renovating. After hanging the board - I'd like to texture the ceiling - rather than tape and mud it. Due to neck problems - taping, mudding, and sanding the ceiling is too rough on me.

What's the easiest way to texture the ceiling after hanging the board?? (I've never done this - be specific - please ??)

Old 07-31-03, 10:09 PM
T
Received 52 Upvotes on 44 Posts
Almost any way You want

There are all kinds of ways to texture a ceiling. Of course you can rent a sprayer and spray it. You can mix up some thin mud and dip a broom in it and slap it onto the ceiling. You can make a stomper and stomp it on to the ceiling. You can spread it on with a rubber float and rub a texture into it. You can use a shaggy paint roller.
You can wad up some news print and dab it on. You can acheive variations on all of these by troweling it or knowcking it down before it dries.

BUT. If you don't tape and finish the joints the tapered edges will show and the joints will crack.
There are some miracle muds on the market that purport not to need tape. Anyone have any experience with them?

Old 08-01-03, 07:13 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Listen to tightcoat on this. If you are unable to do the work due to physical problems you should hire someone. The "no tape" mud is a joke.

Old 08-01-03, 03:56 PM
tk1469
Visiting Guest
Thanks Guys. I have been doing some reading on drywall and it appears that the "traditional" way of putting tape on it to spread the mud, press the tape into it and put over it again.

Is there any self-adhesive tape that you just apply over the joints and then cover with mud ? Anybody ever used this ??

Also - someone told me about mud that drys superfast so you can finish in less time - opinion of this ?

Old 08-01-03, 07:21 PM
Yes there is self adhesive mesh tape. You can buy at any home improvement store. And yes there is a quick set mud you can also buy there as well. It comes in 20,45, and 90 minute. Those numbers refer to the time it takes to set up.

Old 08-02-03, 04:40 AM
hello tk,

I'd second the vote for you hiring out the finish work on your ceiling if you can't physically do it, but really it takes alot more effort to hang the rock than it does for the finish process.

As to the quickset muds, I wouldn't recommend them for a newbie to the world of muddin. Yes they do set quickly & are ready for sanding & next coat, but they also have a short working time. You've either got to mix small batches that you can get on the wall within a short time or else be able to really sling some mud up on the wall. Otherwise it starts settin up in your pan or bucket before it gets used.

I'd suggest using regular paper tape & Lite Joint Compound. I add a couple of squirts of liquid dishsoap to a 5 gal bucket, makes the mud a bit silkier & easier to work with.

Yoou'll find links for how-to articles complete with pics & tutorials here on the site on this pagehttp://doityourself.com/wall/index.htm

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: