Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

swirl plaster repair

Visiting Guest

08-16-03, 05:56 PM   #1  
glennia
swirl plaster repair

I have 1950's swirled pattern plaster ceilings. I removed a ceiling light fixture, how do I cover hole, and get the swirl texture to match??

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-17-03, 11:47 AM   #2  
mudder
get a large dense sponge. Withe you thumb and forefinger pinch out pieces of it 1/2 inch deep. Do this around the edges and throughout the surface of the sponge. Scoop out some slightly watered down premix mud and drag it in the direction of the swirl interupted by the fictures base.
hope this helped. And BTW you can also buy a spong with the dimples already pinched out.

Visiting Guest

08-17-03, 12:33 PM   #3  
glennia
Thank you, I will try this on a piece of old sheetrock first. Can I use wall compound which I have or is premix mud something else?

Visiting Guest

08-17-03, 02:02 PM   #4  
brickeyee
Did you disconnect the wiring going to the box from the feed? You are not allowed toconceal a box wilth live wiring.

Visiting Guest

08-17-03, 02:38 PM   #5  
mudder
yes the wall compound is fine prime and paint with rest of ceiling.
HEED brickyees advise. Make sure power is not going to the wires you're covering up.
If you intend to just put a coverplate over the box containing the wires then you must leave it exposed. Best to have an electricien disconnect power supply to these wires if your not confident you can DIY.

Search this Thread