hole in celing

Old 10-19-03, 06:29 PM
mommy
Visiting Guest
Unhappy hole in celing

ok, don't laugh....
our dog went into the crawlspace in the attic to hide from a thunderstorm...(stop laughing)...and fell through the celing of the room that was directly over the crawlspace...(stop laughing)....and now there is a big German Shepard-sized hole in the celing of one of our 2nd floor rooms. I would say the hole is a good 3x5 footer! Our house is about 82yrs. old with the old plaster celings. (it might be horsehair plaster.) Anyway, obviously, we need to fix this quite serious boo-boo in the celing, but I look at it and don't know where to begin!! (imagine that!) Do I take down all the plaster till I reach the wood of the upstairs floor and replace it with drywall???? There are also thin wooden slats hanging from the celing from where the dog fell through, and insulation tufts hanging from them. (stop laughing!!) Please help...what do I do?????
By the way, the dog doesn't have a scratch on him, but he did manage to take out the entertainment center on his voyage from the 3rd floor.
Thank you!!
mommy

Old 10-19-03, 08:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ok I'm not laughing, much, seriously, I've heard weirder stories, I love the Progressive Ins commercial, where the guys were playing basketball in the hs & one of the boys is stuck in the plaster wall! Patched alot of ceilings & walls over the yrs, I've heard alot of stories! My all time favorite, the guy who had a hole obviously made by a shotgun, claimed to have no idea how that hole got there

You can try to patch in the hole with drywall, this would be the easiest, & least fuss. Bit kinda tricky for a first timer to blend in the patch & make it disappear.
Other options, replacing the damaged lath & patching the plaster, bit more fuss & muss, but would probablly yield best finish result for least $$, ripping out the entire ceiling & replacing it with drywall, depending on your overhead insulation situation, could be bookoo mess, another option depending on the current ceiling height, if it's a high lid, say 10' or more, put in a drop ceiling to lower the lid & save a bit of energy. Lots of ways to go, just depends on what your preferences are & of course the exact details of the situation. So which way ya wanna go? Let us know & we'll talk ya through it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: