Installing a Prehung Steel Entry Door

Old 11-05-03, 12:26 AM
pettimalbert
Visiting Guest
Installing a Prehung Steel Entry Door

I am a novice at this so please be kind. I am replacing an existing 30 inch entry door with a prehung steel door. I have a stucco exterior and drywall interior. While talking with different people who have done this, including personnel at Lowes and Home Depot, some have suggested that I use stucco moulding on the outside and other suggested I use brick moulding. I know there is a difference, because brick moulding is wider and stucco moulding is narrower and has a lip on it which is supposed to go behind the stucco. My question is, to the experts, which should I use?

Old 11-05-03, 08:06 PM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Use whichever will fit the best.

Old 11-05-03, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you pulled off the existing trim? Kinda need to to see what you've got to work with. TC is right, use whichever trim will work out best for your particular situation. Most pre-hung units in this part of the country come standard with brick mold, anything else is an upcharge. Don't think I'd pay a premium for a different molding, cheaper to just buy the preprimed molding if the brick mold doesn't work, I've used brickmold on stucco houses, no problem.

Old 05-14-04, 07:20 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Similar situation..but

..I have vinyl siding and currently the 'J' channels that trim the door are at the door frame edge.
I was going to try and install my new prehung steel door (when it comes in) from the inside so I can butt its frame up to the 'J' channel. I realize that I wont be able to go the normal route of using shims from both side for an even fit, but will some finageling (sp.) I figure I'd be able to get some shims in there for a tight fit.
Sounds reasonable?

Old 05-18-04, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the new door is exactly the same size as the existing door, you're in luck, but it never works out that way, or hardly ever anyway. Lot of times you have to remove the J trim & trim the siding a bit, not a real big deal, if you don't have a zip tool for unlocking the vinyl siding, use a church key (metal paint can opener) works pretty good in a pinch. Will more than likely have to use some shims, rough opening are rarely perfectly square, plumb, & level.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-04, 08:36 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Quote "Will more than likely have to use some shims, rough opening are rarely perfectly square, plumb, & level."
Yea.. No kidding. There is NOTHING perfectly square, plumb and level in this house. Its a 1948 house (well, at least the front part is). The R/O goes from 79 1/2 to 79 7/8ths high.. and width is fairly the same, so I do expect the need to shim. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks for the good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: