Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Patching and Plastering
Reload this Page >

plastering over painted brick fireplace wall??

Old 11-12-03, 11:00 AM
wvdthree
Visiting Guest

Hello,
I would like to plaster over an interior brick wall which surrounds one of our fireplaces and a wood burning grill. The section of the wall is roughly 8*8'. The look I would like is a subtly textured,rustic wall. Mediterranean looking i.e. Italy,Spain,France. I would plan on painting it afterward.

I read Tight Coat's suggestion to someone else about using diamond metal lath and masonry screws in horizontal mortar lines to provide a bond for the plaster. What type of Plaster would you recommend? It sounds as though 3 coats are needed. A base,a brown and a finish. Assuming I practice on a sheet of plywood before hand,is this something I can reasonably expect to do on my own. Also,are there any brief books which do a good job of explaining techniques. Info regarding plastering is hard to find on the web.

Thanks for your input.

wvdthree

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-03, 11:12 AM
Plastering is a lost art form. Not many people do it anymore. It's a little more popular in the east. Tightcoats suggestion of the wire mesh is a good one. It gives the plaster something to hold on to. The biggest problem with putting anything over the brick is bondability. If you use plaster you will need a bonding agent. You can find plaster and plaster products at your local drywall distributor. I have used USG diamond finish plaster with good results. One thing to be careful of is plaster sets up very quickly. Another route you might want to try is to use a mixture of products. I have done this in the past and am going to do a big job this winter. Mix half lightweight drywall mud and half portland cement. Home depot sells a white protland cement with fiberglass in it thats really good. It will take maybe 4 coats to cover everything and get the look you want. You wont need a bonding agent with these products. Good luck.

Old 11-12-03, 02:53 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Plaster is almost never used by itself except for the final veneer coat. It sets up to fast. If you look on a bag of gaging plaster you will see the instructions on how much lime to mix with te plaster. Other plasters are available premixed with lime and all you add is water. Double hydrated lime (no slaking required) is available from USG, but you may have to call around to find someone who carries it. The book you want is "Plastering Skills" by F. Van Den Branden & Thomas L. Hartsell. Amazon may be able to get you a copy. The USG web site also has info in the Gypsum Handbook. Some of the tools can be a little hard to come buy, but are still made.

Old 11-12-03, 07:51 PM
The short answer is:
Use metal lath if the brick have been painted. Unpainted brick makes a good plaster base with nothing else needed but a good cleaning.
If you use plaster use USG RedTop or Gold Bond's Two Way hardwall for the base coat. Probably will take a scratch and brown coats. Mix the scratch about 1 1/2 parts sand to one part plaster by volume. The brown coat should have about two parts sand: 1 part plaster. Straighten and leave rather rough like with a broom the brown coat. For a smooth finish use USG'g Diamond finish or Gold Bond's kal-Kote smooth finish mix according to the instructions and work quickly on the finish.
There is a lot of mis information about plaster.
Try this site for accurate information by plasterers:
www.i-boards.com/bnp/wc

Several plasterers hang out there and they know their stuff.

Old 11-14-03, 09:05 AM
They've got a good board over there Tightcoat, glad you posted it, just added it to my bookmarks!

Old 11-16-03, 11:16 AM
Doyle Self
Visiting Guest
I apply over brick often. The plaster I use comes from Italy and is mixed with 20% Portland cement. I am sure you can find a similar product close to you. I also use a bonding agent. Bricks are good to plaster over because of the water absorption. The Italians always put bricks in the walls along with the stones to plaster on top of. The bricks were like anchors.
Doyle

Old 11-17-03, 07:29 AM
I'd like to welcome Doyle Self to the forums. He's just registered yesterday, but will be a good addition. A real plasterman, don't know that we have any regulars here that do plaster everyday.

Welcome aboard Doyle, hope you decide to stick around.

Old 11-17-03, 08:53 AM
Doyle Self
Visiting Guest
Thanks Dell.
Just found this board yesterday. I will be coming around now.
Doyle