Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

patching drywall

PA

12-08-03, 07:47 AM   #1  
patching drywall

My dog has clawed big gouges into my drywall in the garage. can i repair this with drywall compound (the gouges do not go all the wall thru) only , or should i use tape over the compond? What about using the fast drying joint compond, is it harder to work with or more expensive? Thanks

Sponsored Links

KS

12-08-03, 08:05 AM   #2  
You can fill in the scratches with mud. No tape required for this job. You can use quick set if you want. Mix enough in a pan and apply. Remember to clean your pan out before it sets up. You won't need a lot of mud for this job. Price will be about the same.

PA

12-08-03, 10:50 AM   #3  
Thanks, can i use quick set on seamed joints to set my tape and then put regular mud on top for a first coat over the tape.

Thanks

Visiting Guest

12-08-03, 10:56 AM   #4  
mudder
yes you can if you only mix as much as you can use in 30-45 minutes as it sets quick.

KS

12-08-03, 11:53 AM   #5  
Quick set will hold tape the best. It's not worth it to me to use quick set with tape unless it's a small job. It's takes time to mix up that mud. So I usually just use regular lightweight. By the time you get back to the first coat it is set up enough to coat. I have never had a problem with lightweight holding the tape.

Search this Thread