Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plastering and Joints compound coming off

Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 12:38 PM   #1  
baggs
Plastering and Joints compound coming off

I recently did some plastering and joint compounding and when I primed the wall it began coming off onto the roller. The plaster was definitely dry as about nearly 2 weeks went by before I had a chance to prime it. I though maybe it was cheap plaster but it was recommended by the store.

Any Ideas? thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 01:38 PM   #2  
mudder
what compound did you use, was it applied to new drywall?? My understanding is that you filled the joints and taped with premixed mud? and then skimed the entire surface with plaster?

Visiting Guest

12-23-03, 02:51 PM   #3  
Daystar
Baggs put down his joint-compound encrusted roller and said:

"I recently did some plastering and joint compounding and when I primed the wall it began coming off onto the roller. The plaster was definitely dry as about nearly 2 weeks went by before I had a chance to prime it. I though maybe it was cheap plaster but it was recommended by the store.

Any Ideas? thanks"

If wall surface was previously painted, be sure it is clean, grease and dust free before plastering/joint compounding. I always wipe down and pre-prime suspect plaster surfaces with a good oil-based interior primer before patching.

Visiting Guest

12-24-03, 09:42 AM   #4  
baggs
mudder wrote:

what compound did you use, was it applied to new drywall?? My understanding is that you filled the joints and taped with premixed mud? and then skimed the entire surface with plaster?

I can't remember what compound I used as I did suspect it was the compound so I disposed of it and will not use it again.
To answer your question it was applied to new drywall using premixed mud. But a never skimmed the surface with plaster.

thank you,

Merry Christmas

Visiting Guest

12-24-03, 10:32 AM   #5  
mudder
never seen this happen so I'm gonna guesas it was the compound's quality.
merry christmas

MO

12-24-03, 10:56 AM   #6  
if the compound had been opened & allowed to dry out, or if it had ever froze, it'll crumble off the wall.

Search this Thread