Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Texturing over interior paneling

Visiting Guest

12-26-03, 06:22 PM   #1  
katnalex
Texturing over interior paneling

I want to eliminate old fashioned wood paneling & paint interior walls a light color. When I removed the paneling in one room, it (had been glued down and) really damaged the drywall paper. Before I take the paneling down in the rest of the house, can anyone tell me if I can prep over the paneling and then texture the walls? Thx

Sponsored Links

MO

12-27-03, 05:56 AM   #2  
katnalex,

Hello & welcome to the forums. I would suggest you remove the paneling, then use lite joint compound to to skim the walls to achieve a smooth surface, sand, primer, texture and paint. This will give you the best possible end result. Happy holidays!

KS

12-27-03, 12:38 PM   #3  
There is no way to fill in paneling and paint it to look like smooth drywall. It will crack out everytime. Do as Awesomedell suggests.

Visiting Guest

12-28-03, 06:48 AM   #4  
katnalex
Thanks awesomedell & coops28. I thought this is what the answer would be. But my cousin told me that some remodeler (he knows) said he'd tried it the other way (on his own place) and it worked great and he hadn't had any problems. Thought it was worth asking about.

Search this Thread