Repairing popcorn ceiling

Old 12-28-03, 03:03 PM
garyswan
Visiting Guest
Repairing popcorn ceiling

Hi guys, I had to replace about 10 sq ft of drywall on my ceiling due to a roof leak. The ceiling has popcorn texture and I am having a real hard time getting the patched part of the texture to match the rest of the ceiling. Any suggestions on how to do this without redoing the entire ceiling? Thanks in advance! Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-03, 05:21 AM
Rent a spray rig from a rental place. There are 3 different sizes of popcorn. make sure you have the right one. Spray it on thick. Heres the deal, the new popcorn will be whiter in color than the old stuff. You can either live with it or paint the whole ceiling. Other than these suggestions, you will have to be more specific on the kind of trouble you are having.

Old 12-29-03, 09:16 AM
garyswan
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I will try that. I have tried the popcorn added to paint and the pressurized can of spray; neither did the job. The popcorn added to paint did not go on evenly with a roller or brush and the can is expensive and not easily controlled. Gary

Old 12-29-03, 01:10 PM
Ya, the only way to get it to look the same is to use a similar spray system that was used originally. Good luck.

Old 12-30-03, 04:13 PM
It's a bit of a mess to spray with a sprayer. For this reason give this some thought. I've had good success spraying the patch, letting it dry and then spraying the whole ceiling again. It has always turned out the same color when I have done this. It saves painting and since you have to cover and mask almost everything anyway to spray the patch you can go ahead you can get a whole new ceiling.
I have, however heard horror stories about the whole ceiling texture letting go from the moisture when repspraying. I think that could happen if you don't dry out the ceiling right away. Do the job, turn up the heat get a lot of air moving and wait to clean up the mess until it is dry.
Our advice is worth what it costs you.

Search this Thread