Plastering fireplace

Old 01-16-04, 01:21 PM
Katie32
Visiting Guest
Plastering fireplace

My brick fireplace is very out of date and I want a new look on the surround. I was thinking of plasetering it and then glazing it for some colour. I saw this on a design program but missed the instructions. Is there any special plaster or heat sensitive paint I would use? Any website I can be directed to? Thanks All!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-04, 05:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hi; Katie. Welcome to the do it yourself web site.

I moved your question into this forum since the question pertains to plastering and not specifically to the fireplace as an appliance.

The resident professionals in this topic will be best able to help you and provide professional advice.

Old 01-17-04, 06:38 AM
mudder
Visiting Guest
I would suggest laminating 5/8 firecode drywall ontop of the brick. Blob sheetrock 90 on the back of cut and dry fitted drywall and press onto the brick, hammer 1 inch concrete nails 3-4 inches away from edges a foot apart and a few in the field. Hammer them squarely (straight) some will go in some will bend depending on your expertize, but dont worry to much as the nails will hold untill mud dries and the mud is plenty to hold the sheets on.

Old 01-17-04, 07:23 PM
If the brick are not painted you can plaster right over them. I might use Portland cement plaster rather than gypsum plaster because I think it might stand the expansion/contraction better.
Mudder's idea might, however be better because drywall is more amateur friendly than plaster. The drywall mud will adhere to unpainted brick just fine. If the brick have been painted the bond is to the paint only and not to the actual brick so the bond is only as good as the paint