damaged ceiling

Old 06-19-00, 03:54 PM
Visiting Guest
I did a stupid thing a few months ago and stored some rather heavy boxes in my (unreinforced) attic. When I came down, not only did I discover that I'd made some cracks in the ceiling (why didn't I just step on the rafters like I was supposed to?) but that there was now a foot shaped hole in the ceiling in my room. How can I fix this? And is there any way for me to reinforce the attic rafters so that I can use it for extra storage space without worrying about this kind of thing happening again?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-00, 04:41 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Sounds like you're lucky that you didn't hurt yourself, or do more damage to the ceiling. You can try to repair the existing sheetrock by making sure that it is tight to the ceiling with sheetrock screws, if it has pushed loose. You can try taping and mudding the cracks, and you will have to cut out the hole to the middle of the nearest wood structural joists, replace that piece and tape and mud the seams. Good Luck!

Old 06-19-00, 08:14 PM
Visiting Guest
[QUOTE]Originally posted by OldGuy:
You can try to repair the existing sheetrock by making sure that it is tight to the ceiling with sheetrock screws, if it has pushed loose.
Actually, the house is so old that the ceiling is plastered, not made of sheetrock.
So can I just plaster it over? The wood is fine, fortunately, I didn't put my foot through it. But seeing the beams on a daily basis is starting to bother me. As far as mudding goes, what does that mean? Total newbie here--my biggest DIY project was installing an electric doorbell. Thanks!

Search this Thread