Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Patching exterior rotted wood

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-22-00, 08:06 AM   #1  
I have exterior wood columns that have water damage around the base (looks like water seeped in around caulk). I have dug out the old rotter wood. What is the best way to repair. I am a novice so is this something that is straightforward or should i call a pro?

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-19-00, 06:29 PM   #2  
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AndyG:
I have exterior wood columns that have water damage around the base<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you know the damage is not structural, you might try using a compound called Mr. Mac. It comes as a powder you mix with an included liquid. They have kits to repair wood, metal and concrete. The wood repair stuff dries very, very hard, but I think it doesn't take a stain, it has to be painted.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

06-24-00, 12:27 PM   #3  
After cleaning out the decayed wood, assuming that you have a reasonable amount of sound wood left, try using some wood hardener by Minwax. This is a very thin liquid that soaks in readily and solidifies the wood fibers- kind of like paper mache'. I have found this to be good insurance before caulking or puttying. Good luck!

Search this Thread