drywall repair

Old 07-02-00, 04:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I removed mirrored tiles from my bathroom and the drywall paper layer came up with them. I'm left with a whole wall that looks like cardboard! How do I patch/prime this wall before painting, and what do I use?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-00, 06:38 PM
Visiting Guest
I suggest that you remove the damaged sheetrock and replace it. If the paper came off of the 'rock, you aren't going to be able to get a good coat of paint on it.

Old 08-02-00, 05:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have the same problem in the hall where I peeled off "coyote ugly" wallpaper. The bare cardboard spots are no more than 6-10" wide. Would a joint compound with some sanding fix the surface for painting?

Old 08-22-00, 08:47 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madpup:
I have the same problem in the hall where I peeled off "coyote ugly" wallpaper. The bare cardboard spots are no more than 6-10" wide. Would a joint compound with some sanding fix the surface for painting?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you found your answer yet. I have the exact problem as we bought a house with tons of really bad wallpaper and stripping has dominated my life recently. One room in particular sounds exactly as you described. We really do not like wallpaper and hope to paint but when I look at the wall....I do not know where to start.

Old 08-23-00, 02:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Zinsser has a product called GARDZ which is made for sealing damaged drywall. This sealer is supposed to seal the damaged drywall so that it doesn't "bubble" up when you try to apply the joint compound or paint. After applying coat of Gardz, you're supposed to be able to apply a skim coat of joint compound to smooth out any damaged areas.

Old 08-24-00, 12:52 PM
Visiting Guest
I remove wallpaper several times a week and have the front come off of the drywall at times.The best thing to prime with,after removing all loose material,is an oil based primer but I almost always use a 100% acrylic latex primer to cut odor in homes.This will reduce or stop bubbles as you patch.Prime your patch and you are ready to go...Mike