taping/plastering

Old 02-19-04, 02:49 PM
Raudi1
Visiting Guest
Question taping/plastering

I have just finished putting on the 3 coat of mud over a taped joint(Patch) and it now has developed a bubble in the tape. The tape did not adhere the the base coat of mud. How can I fix this? Do I have to remove the old tape and redo/start again?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-04, 06:20 AM
If the bubble isnt big, I reckon you could cut it out and refloat that area. If the bubble runs the entire length of the tape, you pull it out and start all over.

Old 02-20-04, 09:59 AM
Welcome to the forums Raudi1.

Just cut the small bubbles out with a utility knife and reskim the area, but if it's an entire seam length, you'll have to rip the tape off, sand & start from scratch.

If you're hand taping, have a bucket of fairly clean water handy, measure off & pre-cut your tape for length, coat the joints with mud, & before you put the tape on roll it up & dunk it in the water.

When you run the joints keep even steady pressure on your knife, start in the middle of the tape & work towards the ends. Have fun!

Old 02-20-04, 02:59 PM
Awesomedell, what does the water do for the tape?

Old 02-23-04, 12:45 AM
boardslinger
Visiting Guest
Nothing! The reason it bubbled is that there was either not enough mud behind the tape or your mud was to loose. Cut it out and retape the area. Good Luck.