Paper or Fiberglass mesh???

Old 02-20-04, 03:03 PM
Paper or Fiberglass mesh???

A question for the drywallers.

What do you prefer to tape with?
Paper or fiberglass.

I use the fiberglass for small repairs, mainly because its easy to use and I don't have to bed it in mud.

But paper is much thinner and easier to float out.

I also met a chemist at a NGPP convention that told me they tested both and paper actually had a higher tensile strength (breaking point) than fiberglass.

So whats your opinion.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-04, 06:21 AM
Paper 99% of the time, do use mesh for patching small holes. I'd agree that the paper is easier to float out.

Interesting what the chemist told you, I always thought the mesh to be stronger.

Old 02-21-04, 06:33 AM
Yeah, that surprised me too. Why do you dip your paper in water? What does that do for you?

Old 02-21-04, 03:56 PM
It makes it stick to the mud better and you get less bubbles in the tape. Lot of guys have called me crazy over the yrs, but that's how I learned to do it as a young man & it's still the way I do it unless I'm just doing a small job & don't want to break out the mud pump & banjo. Same thing with a tiny bit of Joy dishsoap in the mud, makes it creamier & runs thru the banjo & boxes smoother.

I'd still like to get my hands on the info from that testing the chemist was talking about. Think I'll post that over on W&C & se what others in the trade think of it.

BTW- I've been meaning to ask you ? Got your own shingle out or workin for the man?

Last edited by awesomedell; 02-21-04 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-21-04, 04:54 PM
I'd still like to get my hands on the info from that testing the chemist was talking about. Think I'll post that over on W&C & se what others in the trade think of it.
This was told to me by a guy named Merle who works for Romans adhesives. His specialty was testing products and such for different manufacturers. I can't remember for the life of me why a bunch of paperhangers and a glue man were talking about joint tape, but that was the gist of what he said. He was as surprised as the rest of us at the results.

BTW- I've been meaning to ask you ? Got your own shingle out or workin for the man?
If you mean do I work for someone, other than the IRS, then no, I'm the co. owner. Check my profile, it has a link to the company website.

Old 02-22-04, 07:12 AM
I always use paper tape except for patches. Patch work goes a lot faster with the mesh. I also use mesh for crack repair. I am going to experiment with paper on plaster cracks. The mesh always cracks back out and you can see the mesh. I'm thinking paper would hold better.