Humped / Wavy Plaster Walls

Old 03-01-04, 08:21 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 141
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Humped / Wavy Plaster Walls

My older (1953) bungalow has original plaster walls.

The plaster seems to be applied to 2' x 4' backer panels that are attached to the studs. The finish on the exterior walls is quite uneven with the edges of the backer panels being noticably visible. If you run your hand down the wall you feel the wall "hump" out between the joints.

FWIW, I suspect that this is result of the joints drying faster than the middle and shrinking more - but its just my guess. To me it would seem to explain why the interior walls don't have the same problem.

My initial plan was to find a good plasterer and have him skim the walls to eliminate this. Then I started wondering if this is the sort of thing that I could successfully do myself.

I'm comfortable with drywall and joint compound, but have not had any dealings with plaster. Are they similar to work with or is there anything particular I need to know about working with plaster?

So far, I think the most important thing for me as a non-professional at this is to find the widest knife I can.
Old 03-01-04, 08:27 AM
prowallguy's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 2,510
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I work with joint compound a lot, but I'm not comfortable with working with plaster to skim coat. I think its a whole different beast to skim coat with plaster compared to mud. But I'm only a paperhanger. The Drywall guys can assist you better than me.
Old 03-01-04, 04:03 PM
awesomedell's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,351
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Plaster is definitely alot harder to do than drywall mud. If you're pretty comfortable with working in drywall mud, I'd skim the wall with it.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: