Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Can I put up wall boards on top of my cracked and bulging plaster?

Visiting Guest

03-03-04, 01:41 PM   #1  
lynn2oz
Can I put up wall boards on top of my cracked and bulging plaster?

My livingroom wall is plaster that has long bulging cracks. California earthquakes no doubt. I have pulled out some sections that were protuding a good 5"! The lath looks fine. Sooo..
Should I remove all the plaster and then put up sheetrock or can I put the sheetrock on top of it? Wouldn't nailing or putting in screws cause the plaster to crumble behind and possibly push the wallboard out. And IF I put wallboards on top should I replaster the huge holes first? The lath is still there.

Thanks for helping,
Lynn

Sponsored Links

KS

03-03-04, 02:49 PM   #2  
Remove everything to the studs. This way you can inspect wiring and insulation needs. Hang and finish new drywall. A major problem with covering the plaster with drywall is you have to remove all your trim and re cut it. Also you will loose some space, not much but... And you are right about the plaster pushing on the drywall. Good luck.

Visiting Guest

03-03-04, 08:58 PM   #3  
lynn2oz
sheetrock on plaster...

I was afraid all the plaster has to go. But why do I have to remove the lathe? There is no wiring or conduits or insulation. Just one big empty space! In fact the only thing between me and the great outdoors is the lathe and my old lap siding. The lathe wouldn't be good support for the sheetrock? If it has to go then that gives me a good opportunity to insulate, huh?
Thanks,
Lynn

MO

03-04-04, 05:58 AM   #4  
You should remove the lath also, alot of it will be loose anyway when you remove the plaster and put the insulation in as well. You should use faced batts for the exterior walls.

KS

03-04-04, 06:00 AM   #5  
You should screw drywall directly to studs. If you miss and hit lath then it's not securely fastened. Also you can get rid of another 1/4". And as you mentioned you can insulate your wall. which you should.

03-04-04, 06:44 AM   #6  
Definitely remove the old lath/plaster. If you have 5" bulges, either the lath has completely separated from the studs, or (shudder) the stud has separated from the plate.

Ain't it fun living in earthquake country?

Search this Thread